Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
BunBun

Another Hell Article: Why people believe that folks aren't supposed to talk about hell and going to hell.

BunBun    450

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-library/80-376/the-truth-about-hell

As we enter into this season of celebration for us as believers, we face an opportunity and a responsibility that I think is unique to the season and that is to be ready to speak the gospel to the folks that are around us who don’t know the Lord Jesus Christ. You heard from Travis the commission of Jesus to go into all the world and make disciples, baptizing them and commanding them to do all things that I have commanded you. This is our commission, this is why we are here in this world, to be ministers of reconciliation with a message of reconciliation to God that sinners might be saved. We talk about that, being saved. One of the people being baptized tonight made reference to being saved.

What are we talking about? What is it we want people saved from? That is the compelling question. The answer to that question, as far as Scripture is concerned, is a simple answer. We want to see people saved from eternal punishment, punishment that never ends. Conscious existence, conscious life in a body resurrected and suited for everlasting punishment. The Bible speaks of that as occurring in a place that we know as hell. In the Old Testament, the word Sheol makes reference to that in a general way. In the New Testament, the word Hades is sometimes with reference to that. But always the word hell coming from the Greek word Gehenna speaks of what the book of Revelation calls this Lake of Fire where people are punished and tormented forever.

I think we sort of comfortably distance ourselves from that reality. Certainly in general in the church it is looked over, passed by, ignored. There are those who claim to be preachers who don’t ever talk about hell, wouldn’t talk about hell, avoid it at all costs, when the truth of the matter is, it ought to be the first thing that we talk about when we talk about the gospel. This is about salvation from hell.

The doctrine of hell, the truth of hell, the reality of hell has found its way into the thinking of our culture. According to the latest survey that I could find, seventy-five percent of people living in America believe in hell. They believe there’s a hell. That’s the influence of Christianity, 75 percent. Of those 75 percent, four percent believe there is any chance that they will ever go there. So we’ve gotten our point across. There is a hell. But we haven’t gotten the point across that you’re headed there already. That’s the issue.

We live in a world where sin is freely exploited. Sin is so much a part of our culture that every imaginable sin is acceptable, except pedophilia, that’s the last sin left. And you watch the outrage, at least in the athletic world, if not in the Roman Catholic Church, over the sin of pedophilia. You don’t find that outrage over adultery, you don’t find that outrage over homosexuality, you don’t find that outrage over lying, cheating, stealing, etc.

Murder is still unacceptable unless the person doesn’t deserve to live. The murder of a child is still an outrage. But we’re very used to sinning. And we’re very comfortable with sin and consequently society has very few consequences that it places on people for sin. So when people grow up in a world where things that once were defined as sin are no longer defined as sin, and behaviors have no consequence in the society, where, for example, when junior comes home at the age of twelve and announces to his mother that he’s a homosexual, she becomes a homosexual advocate. Absolutely no consequences to that kind of immoral behavior. There’s a warped sense of good and evil and distorted understanding of justice. We don’t know what sin is except a sin can never be what I do, it can be, however, if what I do harms someone else, that would be sin. But any act that I do in and of itself I’m free to do and there shouldn’t be any consequences at all.

And the truth of the matter is then if the culture imposes no consequences and the family imposes no consequences, the society places no stigma on people for the kind of behaviors that are sinful behaviors, people get so used to sinning without consequences that when you introduce the idea that they will pay in full forever for every sin, that is just alien to their thinking. People sin without immediate consequences and to try to convince them that there are somehow down the road, decades from now if they live, deferred consequences is a hard sell.

For example, you might want to try to convince someone of Romans 2 which says that you are storing up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and the revelation of the righteous judgment of God. You’re not getting away with anything, no act of fornication, no act of adultery, no sin in the mind, no sin in the behavior, no sin with the lips, no lie, no deception, no cheating, you’re not going to get away with any of it, you’re just accumulating iniquities, all of which will be confronted and judged. You’re storing up wrath. You’re going to need to have a large storehouse to contain all the wrath that’s going to break upon your head.

That is a very difficult thing to convince people about who are so used to sinning. And at the same time, they’re so used to getting away with it. They’re not only used, can I say to getting away with it in the culture and in the world, but professing Christians are used to getting away with it in the so-called church. Churches are…so-called churches are very, very reluctant to confront sin, very reluctant to do the discipline that the Bible talks about doing, to teach people the consequence of sin. Parents are very reluctant to create significant consequences for the sins of their children, which may be the most important thing apart from the gospel that your child ever learns. That sin has immense and painful consequences. We need to tell people that every unforgiven sin, every sin committed by every person who rejects Jesus Christ will be justly punished by God forever in a place called hell.

*You can't tell people about Salvation in Jesus Christ without talking about hell. Jesus is not saving people from loneliness or not have a purpose or any of those things. Jesus died on the cross to save us from Hell. We live in a society that would like to forget about hell. Pretend that it's not real. I know that it is and that there are so many people who are choosing to go there-either through ignorance or because Satan has duped them into believing that it can't happen to them. We preach Christ and Him crucified. This nation that we are a part of is in dire trouble with The Lord. The sexual sin alone would be reason for severe Judgment. We also have the murder of the unborn and a culture of rebellion against The Lord. The above article contains discussion about Isaiah Chapter 66 Verse 22 to 24 which I learned about from Mark Biltz just the other day. Those verses tell of the people who have been saved living in eternity with The Lord and all of them being able to SEE the people who rebelled against the Lord in the flames where their worm dieth not. In these verses, Father gives us a glimpse into eternity and how God will put before us what He does to His enemies and we will be encouraged to remain as we should through this visual understanding that God doesn't joke. He's deadly serious. 

From the Article:

Now somebody says, “Does the sentence really fit the crime?” Well we’re thinking rationally for a minute. Well the lawgiver determines that, doesn’t he? The law giver determines that. the law that is written determines the extent of the crime and what is a fitting punishment for the crime and God has determined that the crime is heinous enough that it should be judged in this way. And that is always the hurdle that people have trouble getting over. How can a temporal sin or sins result in an eternal punishment? It seems excessive.

Let me help you with that. The amount of time that a sinner sins is irrelevant. If the sinner dies at fifteen-years-old; thirty-five or a hundred and ten; the amount of time a sinner sins is irrelevant. Crimes against the infinitely holy and exalted God are infinitely wicked and the punishment fits the crime. Infinite crimes against an infinite God deserve an infinite punishment. And here’s the key. Sinners who go to hell never repent. They never repent. They continue to rebel. Every description of hell indicates to us that it is…listen carefully…it is not a remedial experience. It is not remedial justice. It is retributive justice. They remain God-haters forever so that the punishment never catches up with the sin. Understand that? It’s really important.

In hell they continue to hate God. In hell they continue to curse God. In hell they continue to mock God and blaspheme God and hate Christ. So the punishment never catches up to the sin because the sinning never, ever, ever ceases. You understand that, that’s really important. People don’t go to hell and then never sin forever and just get punished forever. They go to hell and keep on sinning forever, so the punishment can never catch up with the wretchedness. That is why the Bible in Mark 3 describes this as eternal sin…as eternal sin.

* I had heard that the people in Hades curse God with Blasphemies that we have never heard here on earth. I couldn't understand why they would do that. The above 3 paragraphs explain the spiritual condition of those who reject Jesus Christ. This also explains the eternal aspect of the punishment. It isn't Remedial Punishment, it is Retributive punishment. In modern America, people don't like to think about hell. It's a very offensive topic. We do no one any favors by refusing to talk about it. They may have their lifetime here on earth where they socially punish anyone who brings up the subject, but every man dies. When we go to stand before Heavenly Father-there will be no more ability to deny the nature of reality. At that point, time will be up for each one of us. We get one shot at this. Jesus Christ died on the cross so that every human could be saved. But, it is still up to us to appropriate that Salvation by Repenting of our Sins and Accepting Jesus Christ. Some people tell me not to cast my Pearls before the Swine. But, I tell them-how will God hold us blameless when we knew the truth and refused to speak so that we could be approved of by men. If we know the truth and refuse to speak about it before men do we become ASHAMED of Jesus Christ? This girl is not ASHAMED of Jesus Christ. Christianity isn't a positive, encouraging feel-good belief system. It's salvation by the roots of our hair. If we know the truth and remain silent, what will He say?