Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Ukshep

Study: Being Alone Can Be Good For Your Mental Health, Sparks Creativity

Ukshep    20,144

When it comes to seeking solitude, many people often blame mental health issues as an underlying cause. But a new study finds that being alone has its benefits too, particularly when it comes to people looking for a surge of creativity.

Researchers at the University of Buffalo interviewed 295 privacy-valuing individuals who reported a variety of reasons for their tendency to spend a lot of time alone, ranging from feeling fear or anxiety around others to preferring to use spare time working on a craft.

Just because you prefer to be alone doesn’t mean you’re depressed. A new study finds that being anti-social from time to time is linked to creativity.

Although research has traditionally suggested that excessive time alone can be unhealthy, some seclusive pursuits, such as trying to connect to nature or get a better sense of self, can be constructive, the researchers found.

“We have to understand why someone is withdrawing to understand the associated risks and benefits,” says Julie Bowker, the study’s lead author, in a university release.

https://www.studyfinds.org/alone-creativity-mental-health/

An interesting read.... Seriously. Might help with understanding people.... Why some seclude themselves and then express at points also. The quiet are usually the most creative.

• Like 4

Zing    904

Being alone is great since, sad to say, most people are not good--no ethics.

• Like 2

Cinnamon    23,043

Sometimes I just don't want to hear everyone else talking. lol  And yeah, on the creativity thing. Solitude is required for that. 

• Like 1

Ukshep    20,144
25 minutes ago, Zing said:

Being alone is great since, sad to say, most people are not good--no ethics.

:rsz_2shesright-min:

1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

Sometimes I just don't want to hear everyone else talking. lol  And yeah, on the creativity thing. Solitude is required for that. 

Same meme :D

Picklesnout    567

Being a creative type, I frequently seek solitude. Because of that I am prolific in several mediums, the latest, woodturning.

"The painter must be solitary, especially when he is intent on those speculations & considerations which, if they are kept continually before the eye, give the memory the opportunity of mastering them. For if you are alone, you are completely yourself. But if you are accompanied by a single companion, you are only half yourself."

~Leonardo daVinci 1452-1519

• Like 2