Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Ukshep

2 wrongfully convicted men each get $15mn after decades in prison, police misconduct

Ukshep    20,193

Two separate juries in Los Angeles and Baltimore have awarded multi-million dollar settlements to two innocent men wrongfully convicted of murder after police were found to have withheld evidence and pressured witnesses to testify against them.

Here's a tiny bit about each man!

Frank O’Connell

After spending 27 years behind bars for a murder he didn’t commit, Frank O’Connell was awarded a $15 million payout by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Wednesday, the largest single-plaintiff settlement in the past 10 years.

“This brings a sense of closure. It’s been a long road,” O’Connell said, according to KTLA. “It’ll be a new beginning for me, and I can really start my life over. I can’t make up for the time that was stolen from me, but I can take positive action with what’s left.”

O’Connell was arrested in 1984 for the fatal shooting of Jay French, the ex-husband of a woman with whom O’Connell was having an affair.

and

Sabein Burgess

A federal jury awarded Sabein Burgess a $15 million payout on Tuesday in his lawsuit against the Baltimore Police Department and two detectives. Burgess spent nearly two decades in prison for a murder he did not commit.

“I'm very happy for the verdict. But my losses were so severe. I lost my father and my grandma while I was locked up. I had a daughter born within days of my trial, and when I came out she was 19 ½ with two kids. The one thing I had for all those years was the truth. They couldn't take that away from me,” Burgess said, according to the Associated Press.

In 1994, police found Burgess holding his dead girlfriend in his arms, according to the National Registry of Exonerations, a law school project that tracks exonerations in the US.

https://www.rt.com/usa/410699-wrongfully-mconvicted-lawsuits-settlements/

I hope they manage to rebuild what was taken.... Their Lives!

:pulling-hair:

markovian    54

i think it take abit more than 15 million for 27 years ... well start with 1 million for eatch day than work on how the cops who did this knowing they didnt have a solid case deserve to go and die in prision

• Like 1

Ukshep    20,193
17 minutes ago, markovian said:

i think it take abit more than 15 million for 27 years ... well start with 1 million for eatch day than work on how the cops who did this knowing they didnt have a solid case deserve to go and die in prision

You'd think but these men should not need to worry about money again. So hopefully that's enough peace of mind to offset what happened!

Cinnamon    23,093

The prosecutors had to know they had no case, too. The trials we see on tv are not reality. Defense doesn't have unlimited funds to bring in witnesses and gather evidence. But prosecutors pretty much do.