Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Anne

Great concept for veggies swap

Anne    253

RipeNear.Me aims to:

Dramatically increase the quantity of urban and sustainably grown foods. We believe that backyards, frontyards, balconies, roofs, vacant blocks and other empty urban spaces are perfectly good places to grow food, so why not utilize them?

Provide an platform for growers to establish a profitable ecosystem or micro farm

Give passionate foodies better access to the best local, home grown, and in season food

Add variety to the foods we grow and eat

Reduce food waste

Improve people's quality of life and health

Encourage more sustainable living, and reduce our impact on the worlds resources

Improve global food security, and

Make the world a better place

http://www.ripenear.me

I know this has been around for a while but thought that would share it anyway. Anything to help with our health.

• Like 1

Cryptic Mole    4,362

I live in Staten Island NY, NYC actually, where we have an old abandoned factory that has been converted into a huge Produce Farmers Market. They supply locally grown organic fruits and veggies mainly from New Jersy farms. Sadly, though, they are seasonal and shut-down for the winter. That's when we buy at the supermarket and where you never know what you're buying or where it came from.

A trip into the city (Manhattan) will reveal just how many rooftops are used for growing their own produce. No space is wasted! They do this throughout the entire city except for Staten Island where most people have enough room to grow backyard gardens. There are so many gardens here in all the 5 boroughs that you would actually be surprised.

I like container gardening myself. It's much easier at 63 years old. lol. Now, I just need to get my a$$ out there to do it next season.

• Like 1

Anne    253

I do too Crytic mole,thought this online market helps,its free,or you can share your crop with others

Cryptic Mole    4,362
2 hours ago, Anne said:

I do too Crytic mole,thought this online market helps,its free,or you can share your crop with others

I wouldn't be growing that much to be able to share. I limit the number of containers I use to about 8 or 10, 20-inch open containers. It's just enough for me and my wife. Maybe if I were younger, sharing with others would be a great idea.

Anne    253
5 hours ago, Cryptic Mole said:

I wouldn't be growing that much to be able to share. I limit the number of containers I use to about 8 or 10, 20-inch open containers. It's just enough for me and my wife. Maybe if I were younger, sharing with others would be a great idea.

My husband and I don't grow much anymore either.I had a bigger garden years ago when I was younger.I had a green house too.

I love the idea of utilizing as much space as you can with the rooftop gardening.

dazedb42    378

Did someone say container gardening?

https://imgur.com/a/OotEi

The only problem with veggie swaps is everyone has the same things ready at the same time unless you plan ahead of growing season and delegate who grows what.