Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Dometheus

Google collecting Android users’ locations even when location services are disabled

Dometheus    316

:goodreadl:  Just read this and thought I would share it.

Many people realize that smartphones track their locations. But what if you actively turn off location services, haven’t used any apps, and haven’t even inserted a carrier SIM card?

Even if you take all of those precautions, phones running Android software gather data about your location and send it back to Google when they’re connected to the internet, a Quartz investigation has revealed.

Since the beginning of 2017, Android phones have been collecting the addresses of nearby cellular towers—even when location services are disabled—and sending that data back to Google. The result is that Google, the unit of Alphabet behind Android, has access to data about individuals’ locations and their movements that go far beyond a reasonable consumer expectation of privacy.

Link so I don't Stinky!

• Like 1

grav    564

I automatically assume they track me. This is an Android device. If I even look at an item on Amazon or other online store, ads for that product pop up on other pages. Creepy. The new normal. :(

Dometheus    316

I assumed that if the option was turned off I was not being tracked. I guess the only real way to stop the tracking is to turn off the phone if you're on the run. lol

seldene    15

Conspiracy theorists are the rational ones about this sort of thing now. I had a young man get in a huffy argument with me about his theory that contact lenses were tracking us.

That's worse than checking the back of mirrors, some people really are getting completely mental.

Edited by seldene
shock
  • Like 1

Ukshep    19,905
3 minutes ago, seldene said:

Conspiracy theorists are the rational ones about this sort of thing now. I had a young man get in a huffy argument with me about his theory that contact lenses were tracking us.

Could you see it? :gsbrnint:

Symon    81

I've noticed this. I go into running apps and try to turn off everything I don't need running, to conserve battery. You turn off Google location and it restarts every single time. I as well know that everything is always being tracked. I often choose to leave the phone at home for this reason.

Edited by Symon

snowball    133

I don't own a smartphone.

Around 2013 I caved and bought my first cell phone.
I used it for when traveling only, because there are no pay phones
on the road anymore. Still remember the times I broke down and
could not fix, walking miles in snowstorms, rain.. hailing passing cars,
even knocking on doors. Now you can't even fix these cars yourself.
Women have become empowered by all this connectivity.
They don't need men to protect them anymore. I remember when they did.

Edited by snowball

Dometheus    316

My Mom has a flip phone and very old school. Just an address book and phone. She hates the new smartphones. Too complex for her when she just wants to use the phone. lol  Maybe she will be the only one not tracked on the planet.lol

Ronin    220
4 hours ago, Dometheus said:

I assumed that if the option was turned off I was not being tracked. I guess the only real way to stop the tracking is to turn off the phone if you're on the run. lol

if you're on the run... you want it on so that they chase the truck heading in the opposite direction ;o)

Dometheus    316
1 minute ago, Ronin said:

if you're on the run... you want it on so that they chase the truck heading in the opposite direction ;o)

Sounds like a Jackie Chan move... LOL