Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
GySgtermey

Your favorite websites are tracking your keystrokes and sending the info to others, study finds!

GySgtermey    667

http://pics.mcclatchyinteractive.com/news/nation-world/national/640lwd/picture185852473/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/DSC_0026

Nov 21, 2017  :pointing-down-smiley-emoticon:

Your favorite websites are tracking your keystrokes and sending the info to others, study finds

“Session replay scripts” can be used to log (and then playback) everything you typed or clicked on a website.

Source:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/59yexk/princeton-study-session-replay-scripts-tracking-you

CSB    2,038

I wonder if this is true for conspiracy sites .

I see the day coming when my computers will go for a swim in a river

• Like 3

Cinnamon    23,078
1 hour ago, CSB said:

I wonder if this is true for conspiracy sites .

I see the day coming when my computers will go for a swim in a river

I've been looking at mine with a hammer in my hand recently. 

• Like 4

Seeker22    304
36 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I've been looking at mine with a hammer in my hand recently. 

I have a 9 pound sledge that would be about right for the job.

• Like 1

abigfatzero    2,448

No, you’re not being paranoid. Sites really are watching your every move

Sites log your keystrokes and mouse movements in real time, before you click submit.

If you have the uncomfortable sense someone is looking over your shoulder as you surf the Web, you're not being paranoid. A new study finds hundreds of sites—including microsoft.com, adobe.com, and godaddy.com—employ scripts that record visitors' keystrokes, mouse movements, and scrolling behavior in real time, even before the input is submitted or is later deleted.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/an-alarming-number-of-sites-employ-privacy-invading-session-replay-scripts/

:grumph:

I knew about this, or actually read about it, awhile ago, AND suspected it for longer. I actually don't think it is too much of an issue. Like everything else on the internet though, nothing is designed to protect or inform end users of software and functions being used, aside from data breaches and even there it is really to protect the interests of the server. Iows, there is little, if any, responsibility to inform the end user like some kind of consumer protection act. No disclaimer popups to etc. I thought it was funny that sites outside of u.s would put up a box informing of cookies being stored when it is obvious\common knowledge that there are cookies, so totally useless info. and apparently done ONLY to comply with a regulation.

That said, although it is sneaky in a world full of sneaks it is par for the course really. The server\organization will say it is for there own purposes to enhance their site some would argue it is voyeuristic and the person hired to monitor said info can be a pervert etc. The companies designing software for servers use these option s to increase their sales so really consider anything you do on a web site as traceable.

As i said above, even years ago i considered that merely typing into a box and not submitting can be captured. Never mattered much to me though as some people like to type and get their thoughts into words without submitting. The downside is that you are expecting it to not go out, you can be intoxicated yet have the wherewithal to not submit, you can be angry at the time, in a bad mood etc. and yet that will impact how you are perceived and interacted with.

ETA: In some ways it is like someone seeing what you are thinking and that is something people are not accustomed to due to it being unnatural\abnormal, in fact diametrically opposed to nature.

ETA2: Of course this information would only cause a person to not use a site so there is that consequence a sneaky server would take. With the billions of people on the planet and nearly everyone inclined with the perversity to know what others are doing this can be alarming. Another downside is people getting attached to users in some sort of perverse way so it can be exceedingly creepy.

Edited by Schneider Harring
another COMMA

Seeker22    304
7 hours ago, Schneider Harring said:

I knew about this, or actually read about it, awhile ago, AND suspected it for longer. I actually don't think it is too much of an issue. Like everything else on the internet though, nothing is designed to protect or inform end users of software and functions being used, aside from data breaches and even there it is really to protect the interests of the server. Iows, there is little, if any, responsibility to inform the end user like some kind of consumer protection act. No disclaimer popups to etc. I thought it was funny that sites outside of u.s would put up a box informing of cookies being stored when it is obvious\common knowledge that there are cookies, so totally useless info. and apparently done ONLY to comply with a regulation.

That said, although it is sneaky in a world full of sneaks it is par for the course really. The server\organization will say it is for there own purposes to enhance their site some would argue it is voyeuristic and the person hired to monitor said info can be a pervert etc. The companies designing software for servers use these option s to increase their sales so really consider anything you do on a web site as traceable.

As i said above, even years ago i considered that merely typing into a box and not submitting can be captured. Never mattered much to me though as some people like to type and get their thoughts into words without submitting. The downside is that you are expecting it to not go out, you can be intoxicated yet have the wherewithal to not submit, you can be angry at the time, in a bad mood etc. and yet that will impact how you are perceived and interacted with.

ETA: In some ways it is like someone seeing what you are thinking and that is something people are not accustomed to due to it being unnatural\abnormal, in fact diametrically opposed to nature.

ETA2: Of course this information would only cause a person to not use a site so there is that consequence a sneaky server would take. With the billions of people on the planet and nearly everyone inclined with the perversity to know what others are doing this can be alarming. Another downside is people getting attached to users in some sort of perverse way so it can be exceedingly creepy.

Welcome to the house!

I have suspected for awhile that the only way they can monitor all the billions of threads is AI. There aren't enough qualified Snowflakes to handle that job.