Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Ukshep

Japan Bans All U.S. Troops in Okinawa from Drinking After Fatal Suspected DUI

Ukshep    20,234

Japan has reportedly confined all U.S. troops in Okinawa to their base and off-base residences in addition to prohibiting them from purchasing or consuming alcohol after one of their fellow Marines allegedly killed a local man while believed to be intoxicated.

“When our service members fail to live up to the high standards we set for them, it damages the bonds between bases and local communities and makes it harder for us to accomplish our mission,” declared U.S. Forces Japan in a statement Sunday. “We are committed to being good neighbors with our host communities.”

Lt. Gen. Lawrence D. Nicholson, commanding general of Marine Forces Japan, expressed his “deepest regret and sincere condolences” to the Okinawan victim’s family, noting that the Marine Corps was cooperating fully with local law enforcement and would “take every possible step to keep this from happening again.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/11/21/japan-bans-u-s-troops-okinawa-drinking-fatal-suspected-dui/

After only 1 incident??? You might think this action would come after several events.... not just 1!

AgedLace    360
19 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

After only 1 incident??? You might think this action would come after several events.... not just 1!

After being in the military for 10 years, and actually being witness to a similar incident when I was stationed on Crete [many] years ago ... this just does not smell right ... something is most definitely 'off'.It's an excuse to something else ... a precursor, if you will, to something else that's going to come down the pike.

Just my humble opinion.  Take it for what it's worth.

Edited by AgedLace
  • Like 1

Ukshep    20,234
1 minute ago, AgedLace said:

After being in the military for 12 years, and actually being witness to a similar incident when I was stationed on Crete [many] years ago ... this just does not smell right ... something is most definitely 'off'.It's an excuse to something else ... a precursor, if you will, to something else that's going to come down the pike.

As good a conclusion as the one I'd came to. Being that there is more to this than they are telling us...

• Like 1

Cinnamon    23,168

I was poking around about Okinawa just now. The people don't want the bases there to start with, they are claiming all kinds of crimes committed by the military. In 2016 thousands marched for the removal of the bases. Looks to me like the guy in charge is trying to avoid anymore "international incidents" taking place for the time being. 

• Like 2

Ric278    326
3 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

As good a conclusion as the one I'd came to. Being that there is more to this than they are telling us...

Yes it sounds pretty harsh!

• Like 1

AgedLace    360
1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

I was poking around about Okinawa just now. The people don't want the bases there to start with, they are claiming all kinds of crimes committed by the military. In 2016 thousands marched for the removal of the bases. Looks to me like the guy in charge is trying to avoid anymore "international incidents" taking place for the time being. 

that would not surprise me ... and you're very likely correct.

• Like 1

COBO Member    3,355
1 hour ago, AgedLace said:

After being in the military for 10 years, and actually being witness to a similar incident when I was stationed on Crete [many] years ago ... this just does not smell right ... something is most definitely 'off'.It's an excuse to something else ... a precursor, if you will, to something else that's going to come down the pike.

This is just an extension of what we've known for years. Oki wants us off the island. I'm sure you remember when the Marine was busted raping one of the local girls. Let's just say anyone that ever visited knows about "Whisper Alley". That's where the two met.

I didn't click the link but did they mention dependents as well as active are restricted to base?

• Like 1

AgedLace    360
17 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

I didn't click the link but did they mention dependents as well as active are restricted to base?

The article only mentioned military; no mention of dependents. 

COBO Member    3,355
1 hour ago, AgedLace said:

The article only mentioned military; no mention of dependents. 

One of the links I read earlier today said everybody including dependents were restricted to base. Might've been Navy Times.

AgedLace    360
1 hour ago, COBO Member said:

One of the links I read earlier today said everybody including dependents were restricted to base. Might've been Navy Times.

Out of likes ... thanks for the info!

Seeker22    336
5 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Isn't there always?

Seeker22    336

I wouldn't want to be that poor Marine- talk about being between the devil and the deep blue sea! On one side, all the other Marines and thier families don't like him because he put a cramp in their style. On the other hand, he stumbled into his very own version of the big game, brinksmanship between the US abd Oki governments. This stuff is way above his pay grade, and these folks play for keeps.

• Like 1