Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Cinnamon

Barbie’s first hijab: Meet the new Ibtihaj Muhammad doll [Merged]

sybdragon    1,491
15 minutes ago, notgoingtorespond said:

I don't see anyone mention it, but in that link, is that a woman?

Yep. It's a woman. An Olympian too. That's how she got a doll made after her. This doll is suppose to be one of those character Barbie dolls. Barbie has a lot of these dollls but some of them are those collector dolls. So it's not suppose to just be a 'muslim' doll. It just happens to be modeled after a muslim. It's actually a good thing if you are trying to show little muslim girls that they can aspire to other things than just wife and mother. Make them dream for bigger things and maybe they will rise up and demand them. I am sure that's the thought anyway. I haven't seen it work out that well in practice though. Sometimes, I wonder about people, they think that crap that they learned in books actually works but I've found out that the theory... doesn't always translate the same when you take it from paper to the 3D world. This is going to be one of those things IMO. I guess the liberal, college educated designers haven't learnt that lesson yet? :rolleyes:

Mario   
Mario

Barbie Mattel Helping to cultivate Hollywood Peta lifestyle since 1959

sybdragon    1,491
5 hours ago, Mario said:

Barbie Mattel Helping to cultivate Hollywood Peta lifestyle since 1959

Maybe Hollywood but not Peta. Barbie wore furs. I had a fur stole for my Barbie doll. That thing was prized as it was on of the very few store bought clothes I got for her. I had to make my own or get them as presents. And that stole was priceless with class I want you to know. :nodl:  My Mom had alligator shoes and a purse that I used to play with too. Real alligator and for a long time, alligator skin was outlawed. I forget when the ban was lifted but most of the gator skin stuff is from gator farms now. Barbie was definitely not against furs and fancy stuff. :ganjamonalisa:  I played with Barbie in the late 1960s up until maybe 1972 or so. And no Peta in those years. :D 

fudgetusk    53

surely the point of such dolls is that they are pretty and hijabs are meant to cover up prettiness. madness