Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
GySgtermey

'$300m in cryptocurrency' accidentally lost forever due to bug!

GySgtermey    613

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IMJmd_tNhlM/hqdefault.jpg

Nov 13, 2017   :pointing-down-smiley-emoticon:

'$300m in cryptocurrency' accidentally lost forever due to bug

User mistakenly takes control of hundreds of wallets containing cryptocurrency Ether, destroying them in a panic while trying to give them back

More than $300m of cryptocurrency has been lost after a series of bugs in a popular digital wallet service led one curious developer to accidentally take control of and then lock up the funds, according to reports.

Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/08/cryptocurrency-300m-dollars-stolen-bug-ether

Oops.

Just yesterday, in fact,

The Guardian reported on how $300M in Ether currency just vanished due to an accident committed by just one user. “More than $300m of cryptocurrency has been lost after a series of bugs in a popular digital wallet service led one curious developer to accidentally take control of and then lock up the funds, according to reports,” reports The Guardian. Yes, you read that correctly: A user accidentally destroyed $300 million worth of cryptocurrency.

(video clip)
Cryptocurrency world in PANIC as user coins VANISH

common sense! tell me it's a ponzi schemes!  :kermit:

• Like 1

Seeker22    209

That's a respectable chunk of change. Could buy a lot of kids, or bribe a bunch of folks. None of this is random. I am so jaded nowdays.

Just Lookin    202
15 minutes ago, Cinders77 said:

Give me cold, hard cash in my hot little hand, thank you very much. 

This.

If invisible money can be deleted, then wtf are we doing even considering it a viable option?  Surely one of the advantages of digital money (or digital ANYTHING for that matter) is that it cant be lost to stupidity? 

My job 1995 - Delete a recording by accidentally using the same tape. Get shit from Client/boss/whoever
My job 2017 - Who cares about deleting when we have infinite undo points. I can literally empty my computer thrash and retrieve it in 15 mins with recovery software.

Why is digital currency forced to constrain to the laws of the physical world?

Edited by Just Lookin

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.