Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

CALIFORNIA'S DEADLIEST FIRE STILL BURNS

Ukshep    25,406

These fires are far from done. But at the crescendo moment.. We will see Fury to top it off...

Dry, warm gusts of wind are forecast for Sunday as firefighters continue to grapple with the deadliest blazes in California's history, which have killed at least 40 people and reduced entire neighborhoods to ash.

Fast-moving fires spread by shifting winds forced thousands more people to evacuate their homes on Saturday as the death toll crept upwards. Hundreds of people remain unaccounted for.

More than 10,000 firefighters supported by air tankers and helicopters battled 16 major wildfires in areas north of San Francisco that have consumed some 214,000 acres (86,000 hectares), or roughly 334 square miles (865 sq km) - an area larger than New York City.

Arid winds would eventually die down on Sunday afternoon, the National Weather Service said, but no rain was forecast to fall on the fires till Wednesday.

The 40 confirmed fatalities, including 22 in Sonoma County, make it California's deadliest fire since records began, surpassing the 29 deaths from the Griffith Park fire of 1933 in Los Angeles.

Some victims were asleep when flames engulfed their homes, while others were unable to escape as 50-mile-per hour (80 kmh)winds drove the fire faster than they could flee.

With 235 people still missing on Saturday in Sonoma County alone and rubble from thousands of incinerated dwellings yet to be searched, authorities expect the death toll to climb.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/california-horror-fires-kill-least-40-deadliest-state-020324754--finance.html

Eyes open now more than ever. Nothing is as it seems!

COBO Member    4,291
Just now, Ukshep said:

More than 10,000 firefighters supported by air tankers and helicopters battled 16 major wildfires in areas north of San Francisco that have consumed some 214,000 acres (86,000 hectares), or roughly 334 square miles (865 sq km) - an area larger than New York City.

And just an OBTW, prison inmates in bright orange firesuits are helping create firebreaks in hopes of containing these fires.

All anyone can do now is hope the winds don't kick up again.

Ukshep    25,406
2 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

And just an OBTW, prison inmates in bright orange firesuits are helping create firebreaks in hopes of containing these fires.

Fires a beast of mother nature, Hard to tame when it really gets going. But I do hope it calms down some!

COBO Member    4,291
Just now, Ukshep said:

Fires a beast of mother nature, Hard to tame when it really gets going. But I do hope it calms down some!

Like an overdrawn thread I got sucked into the other day.

People just refuse to consider why they're called, "wildfires". Just like the tail of a tornado, there's very little rhyme or reason why it chooses the path it does. Or why it destroys one thing while seemingly leaves others untouched.

Ukshep    25,406
Just now, COBO Member said:

People just refuse to consider why they're called, "wildfires". Just like the tail of a tornado, there's very little rhyme or reason why it chooses the path it does. Or why it destroys one thing while seemingly leaves others untouched.

Well there is... Wind.. but that's nature. Bah semantics. Ignore me!

apache54    6,049
3 hours ago, COBO Member said:

that's a fact they seem to have a mind of there own, yes i know there is lots of things effect there paths, but it looks like a mind of there own!

Mario   
Mario

firefighters? What where? Cause I have seen no videos of firefighters batteling the fires in California

Cinnamon    28,895
10 hours ago, COBO Member said:

They always help with the fires (inmates). I know someone whose boyfriend was in prison and he went to do that. That was a fire in my area.