Jump to content
Sign Up To Remove Ads! | Purchase An Ad Slot!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Alluvial

Physicists Will Be Announcing An "Unprecedented Discovery" On Monday - Here's How To Watch Live

Recommended Posts

 Alluvial    641

https://www.eso.org/public/announcements/ann17071/

http://www.iflscience.com/space/a-huge-new-gravitational-waves-announcement-is-happening-on-monday/

ESO will hold a press conference on 16 October 2017 at 16:00 CEST, at its Headquarters in Garching, Germany, to present groundbreaking observations of an astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before.

In the space of just a few weeks, the LIGO and VIRGO collaborations have announced the fourth detection of gravitational waves and three of their most prominent physicists received a Nobel Prize for their work.

And on Monday they will announce something new. Everyone is being very tight-lipped on the nature of this big announcement but it is beyond doubt a huge affair. The European Southern Observatory has described it as an "unprecedented discovery", so it sounds like we should all be very excited. LIGO, VIRGO, and 70 other observatories around the world will hold a press conference at the same time across the globe.

<snip>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Mimas    165
26 minutes ago, Alluvial said:

https://www.eso.org/public/announcements/ann17071/

http://www.iflscience.com/space/a-huge-new-gravitational-waves-announcement-is-happening-on-monday/

ESO will hold a press conference on 16 October 2017 at 16:00 CEST, at its Headquarters in Garching, Germany, to present groundbreaking observations of an astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before.

In the space of just a few weeks, the LIGO and VIRGO collaborations have announced the fourth detection of gravitational waves and three of their most prominent physicists received a Nobel Prize for their work.

And on Monday they will announce something new. Everyone is being very tight-lipped on the nature of this big announcement but it is beyond doubt a huge affair. The European Southern Observatory has described it as an "unprecedented discovery", so it sounds like we should all be very excited. LIGO, VIRGO, and 70 other observatories around the world will hold a press conference at the same time across the globe.

<snip>

Maybe a birthday present

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 DRUMZ    1,665
4 minutes ago, Mimas said:

Maybe a birthday present

Or perhaps their government funding was starting to dry up?

Seems as though I have found myself disappointed at everyone of these "big announcements." 

Could be just me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Mimas    165
1 minute ago, DRUMZ said:

Or perhaps their government funding was starting to dry up?

Seems as though I have found myself disappointed at everyone of these "big announcements." 

Could be just me though.

Most dates come and goes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    28,888
2 hours ago, Alluvial said:

ESO will hold a press conference on 16 October 2017 at 16:00 CEST, at its Headquarters in Garching, Germany, to present groundbreaking observations of an astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before.

Why wait?  Do it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
notgoingtorespond   
notgoingtorespond

I hope its nibooboo, bit probably just another huge nothing burger.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    28,888
1 minute ago, Mjolnirswrath23 said:

Nemesis would be accurate term and it's already here or haven't you been reading all the natural disasters everywhere  since the eclipse?

I guess prepping is futile, then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Alluvial    641
Just now, Mjolnirswrath23 said:

Nemesis would be accurate term and it's already here or haven't you been reading all the natural disasters everywhere  since the eclipse?

O_O

David Meade is right after all?  WTF.  Unlikely, but a small possibility!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×