Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

One of the World's Largest Subs Just Arrived In South Korea

Sagd    807

I wonder how many boomers are out in the area lurking .There would be quite a few hunter killers in the area as well

Osgrot    274

The military build up continues... :mellow: The quickening of deployments to this region suggests war cannot be too far away! :scream1::scary:

Sagd    807
1 hour ago, King Candy said:

Cool. I have always liked submarines. The Hunt for Red October is still one of those movies that interested me as a kid.

Book was so much better than the movie 

jdubjacks    41

Not a boomer, she is an SSGN.  Converted with her 3 sister ships (Ohio, Florida, and Georgia).  Same standard Ohio class propulsion but the missile tubes are converted for a metric ass whack of tomahawks and Spec-Op delivery schemes.  Not a fun toy to have off your coast if you aren't in good graces.  Ask Libya.

jdubjacks    41
1 hour ago, Sagd said:

I wonder how many boomers are out in the area lurking .There would be quite a few hunter killers in the area as well

I want to say Pasadena just left Busan after port call.  That is an LA class boat, should still be steaming around out there.

6 minutes ago, jdubjacks said:

Not a boomer, she is an SSGN.  Converted with her 3 sister ships (Ohio, Florida, and Georgia).  Same standard Ohio class propulsion but the missile tubes are converted for a metric ass whack of tomahawks and Spec-Op delivery schemes.  Not a fun toy to have off your coast if you aren't in good graces.  Ask Libya.

Tired of sitting on the bottom. They got a hankering for Asian Take-out food.  Yes, 300 orders, delivered to the docks.

COBO Member    4,309
1 hour ago, jdubjacks said:

I want to say Pasadena just left Busan after port call.  That is an LA class boat, should still be steaming around out there.

Sounds like you keep on subs like I keep up on surface ships' whereabouts.

I might be mistaken, but the Michigan has been over there awhile, hasn't it? And how many LA class boats are left nowadays? Aren't they getting replaced by the Virginia class?

jdubjacks    41
Just now, COBO Member said:

Sounds like you keep on subs like I keep up on surface ships' whereabouts.

I might be mistaken, but the Michigan has been over there awhile, hasn't it? And how many LA class boats are left nowadays? Aren't they getting replaced by the Virginia class?

I keep up with most of them (skimmers and magic sinky boats).  There are still quite a few LA boats left, Dallas was the last boat decomm'd so far.  They have quite a few to go before the fleet is all Virginia boats.  The Ohio class is coming due for replacement, Columbia class is their new boomer project.  Michigan is a Pacific boat so she would spend decent time in that area regardless, they don't do boomer type 90 day patrols.  They operate more like fast attacks with 2 crews.

Sagd    807
3 hours ago, jdubjacks said:

I keep up with most of them (skimmers and magic sinky boats).  There are still quite a few LA boats left, Dallas was the last boat decomm'd so far.  They have quite a few to go before the fleet is all Virginia boats.  The Ohio class is coming due for replacement, Columbia class is their new boomer project.  Michigan is a Pacific boat so she would spend decent time in that area regardless, they don't do boomer type 90 day patrols.  They operate more like fast attacks with 2 crews.

Great stuff thanks I didn't know they were converting the LA class deadliest weapons in the world those subs

jdubjacks    41

Not converting the LA class per se.  As they phase out and are scrapped, the virginia boats are being built at the same time.  The first 4 Ohio subs went through an overhaul with plenty of fuel in the reactors and were converted to SSGN (Sub Surface Guided Missile Nuclear).  A relatively bad ass piece of silent machinery, lots of boom on your doorstep and you wouldn't even know it.