Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

The catastrophic toll of California's wildfires: 29 dead, hundreds missing, thousands displaced

Cinnamon    28,895

The winds fanning wildfires in Northern California’s wine-country have calmed, for now, giving firefighters a badly needed break from the “red flag” conditions that have made this menacing arc of flames so deadly and destructive.

But for localities facing relentless fires and a mounting death toll that has already reached historically grim heights, any reprieve appears remote.

As the destruction entered its fifth day, officials focused their efforts on finding the missing and the dead. Authorities continue to search for the hundreds of people who remain unaccounted for, using cadaver dogs to sniff through scorched rubble.

Twenty-nine people have died, more than half of them in Sonoma County alone. The infernos burning across the region are now the state’s deadliest wildfires on record, their collective death toll equaling the 1933 Griffith Park Fire in Los Angeles that killed 29 people.

“We’ve found bodies that were almost completely intact; we’ve found bodies that are nothing more than ashes and bones,” Sonoma County Sheriff Robert Giordano said at a news conference Thursday.

<snip>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/10/11/killer-wildfires-continue-to-scorch-californias-wine-country-with-21-dead-and-hundreds-missing/?utm_term=.58d75bae278a

This is a tragic event, I know it is California. But this is very very bad. These fires swept throughout these communities at devastating speed, people we awoken in the dead of night, while flames were virtually right on top of them. The kids, the animals, the old whom could not fend for themselves. 

Hurricanes, Fire Storms, Earthquakes, Floods..........been following this since it started this early spring.

Picklesnout    1,396

I never imagined, as I am sure these folks never imagined, a ferocious fire like that in the middle of "civilization" with whole neighborhoods gone.

So sad. 

Remember things are just things. Thankful for the lives spared. Prayers for the lives moved on. 

askakido    329

Many prayers indeed but also now many tasks to do after receiving inspiration from those prayers.  Helping each other, near definitely, but even when possible at more remote locations.  

COBO Member    4,291
29 minutes ago, GT500 said:

All these deaths are very suspicious 

RIP 

Not really. The winds (NorCal calls them Diablos, SoCal calls them the Santa Anas) dry everything out, especially the pine cones and pine needles on the forest floor. Regardless of how the fire begins, it moves extremely fast. I can only hope those that died (last I saw up to 35) suffocated in their sleep rather than experiencing the flames.

TheOldMan    3,228
21 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

Not really. The winds (NorCal calls them Diablos, SoCal calls them the Santa Anas) dry everything out, especially the pine cones and pine needles on the forest floor. Regardless of how the fire begins, it moves extremely fast. I can only hope those that died (last I saw up to 35) suffocated in their sleep rather than experiencing the flames.

I understand