Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

TheToolman

Seriously. Are they that dumb? Home Depot Panics Over Millennials; Forced To Host Tutorials On Using Tape Measures, Hammering Nails

TheToolman    1,595

While avocado resellers like Whole Foods only have to worry about creating a catchy advertising campaign to attract millennials, Home Depot is in full-on panic mode after realizing that an entire generation of Americans have absolutely no clue how to use their products.  As the Wall Street Journal points out, the company has been forced to spend millions to create video tutorials and host in-store classes on how to do everything from using a tape measure to mopping a floor and hammering a nail.

Home Depot's VP of marketing admits she was originally hesitant because she thought some of their videos might be a bit too "condescending" but she quickly learned they were very necessary for our pampered millennials.

Carnivalpunk    527

When my kiddos were little we'd go to the work shops there and put together crafts. They got little pins to put on their smocks. 

Good family fun. Good to know my kiddos won't need these videos. Last weekend my oldest and I got an old cushman running.

I think its poor parenting or absent parenting that's to blame for the reason millennials are a joke. Not because they are pampered but because they are neglected. Young men raised by women. How can they learn to be men from women? They can't.

TheToolman    1,595
42 minutes ago, Carnivalpunk said:

When my kiddos were little we'd go to the work shops there and put together crafts. They got little pins to put on their smocks. 

Good family fun. Good to know my kiddos won't need these videos. Last weekend my oldest and I got an old cushman running.

I think its poor parenting or absent parenting that's to blame for the reason millennials are a joke. Not because they are pampered but because they are neglected. Young men raised by women. How can they learn to be men from women? They can't.

I want to blame the parents, but you need to have an interest too.  In a life that has Amazon delivering what you need in a day or two, why would you need to measure something.

Carnivalpunk    527
5 minutes ago, TheToolman said:

I want to blame the parents, but you need to have an interest too.  In a life that has Amazon delivering what you need in a day or two, why would you need to measure something.

I get ya. 

Modern conveniences aid in doing things and are not replacement for hands on learning by example from people who know what they are doing or even seeing them done. 

Another reason might be that we live in an almost complete disposable society. Everythings made from plastics and has planned obsolescence where things just stop working and we  can't fix them. New cars don't even have dip sticks so we can change our own oil now.

Dr. Evil    2,558

So you'd think this would be a problem since these guys and their children (who'll be even more helpless) are the ones who'll be running the economy after we stop doing it.

But then you think with AI already here, everyone will be getting a universal income in twenty-thirty years.

But then you think, if everyone gets the same income, who is going to be able to afford to buy the outputs of the robots and computers since they sure won't be buying anything.

Quite frankly this to me is just yet another sign that the real aim of the TPTB is to run a vastly depopulated planet on an entirely different basis than our current free market democratic model. Because that's the only way you can reconcile all these educational, sociological and technological trends that they have been introducing.

Lucy Barnable    5,393
14 minutes ago, Carnivalpunk said:

New cars don't even have dip sticks so we can change our own oil now.

:wtf:

Before I could have my first car my grandfather, who owned a body-shop and an antique car lot, made me show him I could do maintenance and minor repairs myself. I had to change the oil, a tire, add fluids and know how it all worked... Then, when I was able to do all that with confidence, he still wouldn't give me the RX-7. LOL

Carnivalpunk    527
13 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

:wtf:

Before I could have my first car my grandfather, who owned a body-shop and an antique car lot, made me show him I could do maintenance and minor repairs myself. I had to change the oil, a tire, add fluids and know how it all worked... Then, when I was able to do all that with confidence, he still wouldn't give me the RX-7. LOL

Was your first tire change like this?

Love the first gen rx7's btw. 

Lucy Barnable    5,393
3 minutes ago, Carnivalpunk said:

Was your first tire change like this?

LOL
Not far off!  It was dark and raining and no one stopped to help.
I had to jump on the tire iron to get the bolts loose though. 

:gsbrnint:

John Galt    2,155

I am a 22 year old. We were raised by the state, and had no direction from parents. No excuse for current behavior, but there are groups being formed among us that are polar distinctions of what is seen. Finding each other is always interesting...

wmcamus    16

I have three sons. 22, 19, 6. The 22 year old has no clue, left to live with his mother, doesn't k ow how to do laundry. The 19 year old has recently got his contractors license, and started his own business, the 6 year old... well time will tell. He spends time with me in the shop so he sbould be just fine. Dads may be a pain in the ass, but you will learn a lot from them, if you care to.