Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Alluvial

NASA Is Testing Its Asteroid Defense System With a Real Asteroid

Alluvial    642

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/news/a28526/nasa-testing-asteroid-defense/

http://www.newsweek.com/asteroid-tc4-nasa-planetary-defense-exercise-paul-chodas-679660

NASA is preparing to test out its planetary defense systems on an asteroid that will come extremely close to Earth next week.

Paul Chodas, manager of the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies (CNEOS) at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, tells Newsweek what the space agency and other organizations around the globe are doing to perform this exercise—and how they plan to protect Earth from asteroids in the future.

We at the CNEOS work on the trajectory and we’d be able to tell where the asteroid was going to hit. There would be uncertainty on that so we would develop a risk corridor—a line where the asteroid’s orbit slices through Earth. We know it’s on the orbit, but we don’t know exactly where [it would hit].

We have run several exercises where we simulated an asteroid hitting Earth. We try to predict where it will hit, which improves as we take more and more observations. It’s a question of refining the position from a corridor down to a footprint of maybe 1,000 kilometers [620 miles], then maybe a few hundred miles. For TC4, we have just tens of miles of uncertainty and we’re still more than a week away.

There are several ways to deflect an asteroid. The simplest way is to run into it with a fairly massive spacecraft. Running into it at a high velocity would transfer the momentum from the spacecraft to the asteroid and that would change the asteroid’s velocity slightly. That would be sufficient to make an asteroid miss Earth if it was done several years, say three to five years, before its potential impact.

Another is what we call a gravity tractor, which is for a more massive asteroid. This would involve picking up another rock and hovering it over the asteroid. Mutual gravitational attraction over a year or two might be enough to change the velocity.

Finally you could fire an ion beam at the asteroid. You would have to fire ions at high velocity…but that should be able to move an asteroid.

These are the techniques that seem promising.

<snip>

Ukshep    25,443

Watch them accidentally on purpose f**k up!

The ninth and final sign of destruction is described by White Feather as, "You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease.".

Alluvial    642
4 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

The ninth and final sign of destruction is described by White Feather as, "You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease.".

The Hopi prophecy? 

Yes the hopi prophecy a 5000 year old inscription by hopi of Arizona speaking of which when did the moon landing get broadcast in color and what the f**k is a video jukebox doing in 1940 or for that matter since when did a juke box suddenly appear in 1890? And why is the Nazi symbol tilted and where the shit did the new flag come from? I feel like I'm gong crazy except I have old books that portray what seems to be the old version if history it seems to be dieglocke f**king with timeline well at least on YouTube and Google and since when has the statue of liberty been closed for 100 years am I in another dimension?

periclymenoides    1,488

Didn't they collect all the data they've got on this thing over a brief period a few years ago?   They knew then there would be a pretty close brush with this thing now.   Why didn't they flex their space defense muscles over the last 5 years tinkering with this one?   I was taught that anything bigger than a school bus would send the planet back to the stone age.   This one is there.   They say even closer in 2050.  WTF are these numbnuts doing with their billions of the budget?   For f**ks sake, get to work already, blow some shit up.

RhetoricalRebel    2,346
5 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Ooopps, it just hit crazy Kim in the head. We must of miscalculated.