Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Cinnamon

KIttehs need to survive too Raw Cat Food Recipe

Recipe Using Chicken Thighs with Bone

5 1/2  pounds chicken thighs with bone. Remove about 20 to 25 percent of the bone. 

7 ounces (200 grams) raw chicken liver

6000 mg Taurine. 

8 ounces (.24 liter) water. Use bottled spring water, not tap water which can have too many chemicals.

4 raw egg yolks

4000 mg wild salmon or wild caught small fish oil

200 mg Vitamin B Complex

200 IU Vitamin E

1 ½ teaspoons (8.4 grams) Lite Iodized Salt

4 teaspoons (8 grams) Psyllium Husk Powder (optional)
http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it-yourselfers

You'll need a meat grinder that will grind chicken bones. If you use the above recipe, there are also boneless recipes. My cat has to have pate because she's a flat faced Persian and can't eat like a normal cat.  Other cats can eat chunks of meat. 

READ the link before you make this. There are a lot of tips and a couple of different ways to make it. I just put this up there like that so you can see the ingredients you need for the recipe I use and I simplified it.  This will cure a lot of illnesses in cats, including bowel issues (runny poop) and it's like reverse engineering a mouse... sort of. I used this recipe for sick cats for a couple of years and my own Cinnamon eats this every day, she's a healthy happy girl and has been eating it for about 5 years now. It's cheaper than canned if you catch the chicken on sale and thighs cheap. I don't use organic meat. I don't even eat organic meat. Not buying it for the cat, sorry! Never had an issue with non organic. But, if shtf, you will be able to feed your lil carnivores with this information. At the link she uses chicken hearts, I can hardly ever find them so I go with taurine when they are not available as they recommend. There are also recipes for using boneless chicken etc. You can use bone meal in place of that if you don't want to grind the bones. 

Dogs can eat like people and they're fine but cats can't or they'll die, if they'll even eat it. And they need taurine which is not in dog food. I guess theoretically if you check the ingredients, you can add taurine to wet dog food and it would keep the cat alive. 

It takes me about an hour and a half to make, mix and package it. It has to be kept frozen, of course. There are tips for how to freeze it, you can even put it ice cube trays and freeze it like that or any container that can withstand the freezer. 

I'm not nearly as picky about weighing everything like the article, if I get a little extra bone, or muscle meat, it doesn't seem to really matter. I don't even have a scale, but most people probably do. It sounds harder than it is. The main thing is to keep everything together in one place that is added to the meat, I keep mine in a clear zip bag that a pillow came in that I bought. Once you buy all the additives, you'll have plenty to make lots and lots of cat food. 

On 10/8/2017 at 11:56 PM, Cinnamon said:

My cat has to have pate because she's a flat faced Persian and can't eat like a normal cat.  Other cats can eat chunks of meat. 

What would a cat like yours do who lived out in the wild?

13 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

They don't live out in the wild, they die. They can't catch food and they can't even groom themselves. If neglected they get mats so bad that is can cause them to get all kinds of fungal infections and make sores on their skin from the pulling of the mats. When I worked with a Persian rescue, I was the one who got the cats straight from where they'd been rescued from, took them to the vet and then did isolation, medication, learned to groom them and got them ready to go to an actual foster home. I was not foster, I was the medic in between physical rescue and putting them somewhere as a clean, healthy cat to be adopted out. Most can't do that aspect of rescue because they don't have a place to isolate. I did it for a few years and it was both terrible and gratifying. The group I worked with only rescued Persians because they have so many specific health issues due to breeding and as much as everyone loved them, they wanted them to stop breeding them. 85 percent of people who own Persians, should not. 

31 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

I have read some cats survive in the wild. It is very uncomfortable for them though. They can only catch things to eat like moths & perhaps a mouse -- but even my cats would play with mice before they eat it. A scary sign of what domestication does to cats & even dogs -- just imagine what it has done to us!!

Thank you for this info, I have cats too.

Don't feed them seafood. Or tuna. It is sooo harmful & causes urinary issues. Almost took my male out. He is still okay now though.

16 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

They don't live out in the wild, they die. They can't catch food and they can't even groom themselves. If neglected they get mats so bad that is can cause them to get all kinds of fungal infections and make sores on their skin from the pulling of the mats. When I worked with a Persian rescue, I was the one who got the cats straight from where they'd been rescued from, took them to the vet and then did isolation, medication, learned to groom them and got them ready to go to an actual foster home. I was not foster, I was the medic in between physical rescue and putting them somewhere as a clean, healthy cat to be adopted out. Most can't do that aspect of rescue because they don't have a place to isolate. I did it for a few years and it was both terrible and gratifying. The group I worked with only rescued Persians because they have so many specific health issues due to breeding and as much as everyone loved them, they wanted them to stop breeding them. 85 percent of people who own Persians, should not. 

Why do they need to be isolated, though?

2 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

Why do they need to be isolated, though?

Because of where they came from. Usually they are from a hoarding situation or just pure neglect or from shelters. Lots of them get really stressed and will get an upper respiratory infection when moved to a new place. They almost always either already have it or end up with it within 2 weeks of being moved. So they have to be kept isolated from other cats to see if it breaks out or cure it if they already have it. Most people who foster cats have other cats and they don't want theirs to get infected. 

18 minutes ago, Erudite One said:

I have read some cats survive in the wild. It is very uncomfortable for them though. They can only catch things to eat like moths & perhaps a mouse -- but even my cats would play with mice before they eat it. A scary sign of what domestication does to cats & even dogs -- just imagine what it has done to us!!

We have a few feral cats in the neighborhood who have new litters of kittens every year. It seems that most of them die-off pretty quickly. I sometimes feed them but don't want to make a habit of it.

38 minutes ago, Erudite One said:

Normal cats can survive for awhile, but the Persians with the flat faces won't last because they can't catch anything to eat. A Persian can actually starve to death in a house with the wrong kind of bowl. They need to eat off of flat plates because they can't get their face into a regular bowl and get any food in their mouths.  Some people are so dumb they have a Persian and don't even get that. Once my kitteh passes over the bridge, I won't even have another Persian. The amount of work, if you take proper care of them is just crazy.  

Those poor homeless cats are miserable out there. Most end up with feline aids or leukemia. :( 

18 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

We have a few feral cats in the neighborhood who have new litters of kittens every year. It seems that most of them die-off pretty quickly. I sometimes feed them but don't want to make a habit of it.

You should check if there is a catch and release rescue around there. They'll set traps, take the cats and get them spayed or neutered and the population will be gone. I feel really sorry for those poor cats, someone once had them as pets or they're the offspring of a cat that once had a human. :(