Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

Ukshep

Weakening Nate brings burst of flooding, power outages...

Ukshep    25,443

Hurricane Nate brought a burst of flooding and power outages to the U.S. Gulf Coast before weakening rapidly Sunday, sparing the region the kind of catastrophic damage wreaked by series of hurricanes that hit the southern U.S. and Caribbean in recent weeks.

Nate — the first hurricane to make landfall in Mississippi since Katrina in 2005 — quickly lost power, with its winds diminishing to a tropical depression as it pushed northward into Alabama and toward Georgia with heavy rain. It was a Category 1 hurricane when it came ashore outside Biloxi early Sunday, its second landfall after initially hitting southeastern Louisiana on Saturday evening.

https://apnews.com/8c6b3920f51248e68285d329f2d1d730/A-weakening-Nate-brings-burst-of-flooding,-power-outages

Wohoo. Good news! Not that bad.

periclymenoides    1,488

We're about 1" deep toward the 4-5" we're supposed to see from Nate.   First time rain has fallen since Irma.   Droughts freak me out ---> Gatlinburg 

Symon    81
20 minutes ago, periclymenoides said:

We're about 1" deep toward the 4-5" we're supposed to see from Nate.   First time rain has fallen since Irma.   Droughts freak me out ---> Gatlinburg 

We too have had no rain since then and it's nice to finally get some. Even if it makes feeding the animals an extra chore, in SC ky.

grav    1,210

Hurricanes are nature's way of relieving droughts. We hadn't had measurable rain in 6 weeks. It was very muchly welcome. West Louisiana got little to none and is still drought-stricken.

askakido    329

I was looking at the video from Dabba Dabba Doo 7 and if those Colored Dots in that video are colored infra-red temperatures, then it might well be that weather modification was in play, but to cool it down in the Gulf and reduce or an effort to really kill off that hurricane rather than turn it into a monster.