Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Want this topic removed from the archive?

COBO Member

SR-71 BLACKBIRD Replacement

COBO Member    4,309

The aviation “side” of the Web went abuzz following the rumor that an SR-72 prototype was spotted performing flight tests at the U.S. Air Force’s Plant 42 at Palmdale, California.

Back in 2013, Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works, the legendary division that designed airplanes which represented a giant leap for their times such as the F-104, the U-2, the Blackbird family or the F-117A stealth fighter jet, reveled the existence of a project for a Hypersonic strike aircraft dubbed SR-72.

https://theaviationist.com/2017/10/06/well-before-the-sr-72-was-conceived-the-iconic-sr-71-blackbird-proved-speed-is-the-real-stealth/

Siddrix    1,187

The SR-71 was my personal Fav when I was a kid. Guess I had a need for speed. Lol... Built two models of it. The biggest being over three feet long. I also liked it because it had a detachable Drone on the Back.  But on the box it said it was a theoretical add on...

nemo    161

I was lucky enough to catch one of those bad boys leaving Malmstrom AFB open house in the 70's.  Came over the 'hood low, hard climbing bank to the east.  Hit the power probably just shy of afterburner (he would have blown every window and ear drum for several square miles otherwise) and was gone like a shot.  Me standing in the driveway with my jaw on the cement in total awe.  Life was good back then. 

COBO Member    4,309
1 minute ago, nemo said:

I was lucky enough to catch one of those bad boys leaving Malmstrom AFB open house in the 70's.  Came over the 'hood low, hard climbing bank to the east.  Hit the power probably just shy of afterburner (he would have blown every window and ear drum for several square miles otherwise) and was gone like a shot.  Me standing in the driveway with my jaw on the cement in total awe.  Life was good back then. 

The U-2 is another loud plane taking off. NASA's Ames Facility had a couple and everyone in a hurry 2mi radius knew when it launched.

nemo    161

I was talking with a retired B-57 pilot years later, telling me how the fighter jocks used to line up on the tarmac to suck the SR-71 pilots wanker when they showed up. 

COBO Member    4,309
2 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Wow...

thanks for link 

I've been an avgeek since I was old enough to stand on the driveshaft hump in a 57 Ford Fairlane and watch my dad hand crank an old Piper to life with his elbow. Actually, that specific plane was my first ride.

TheOldMan    3,228
2 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

I've been an avgeek since I was old enough to stand on the driveshaft hump in a 57 Ford Fairlane and watch my dad hand crank an old Piper to life with his elbow. Actually, that specific plane was my first ride.

Same, I’m around aviation a lot 

best thing man ever did...

COBO Member    4,309
8 minutes ago, nemo said:

I was talking with a retired B-57 pilot years later, telling me how the fighter jocks used to line up on the tarmac to suck the SR-71 pilots wanker when they showed up. 

The golden age of both military and general aviation.

nemo    161

19 minutes ago, nemo said:

We had a BUFF pilot, fighter jock (both Nam vets) and a long haired hippy type pinko fag on harvest crew that summer.  Get a couple beers in 'em and prepare to be entertained.  Add one young college punk to carefully stir the mixture. 

COBO Member    4,309
29 minutes ago, nemo said:

We had a BUFF pilot, fighter jock (both Nam vets) and a long haired hippy type pinko fag on harvest crew that summer.  Get a couple beers in 'em and prepare to be entertained.  Add one young college punk to carefully stir the mixture. 

By now, there are guys flying the same B-52 airframe their grandfathers flew. Testify!!