Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

Scientists develop Terminator robot “super strength” material that could allow military hunter-killers to strangle you to death

Ukshep    20,202

That has got to be the most bad-ass title I've seen. Totally absurd though right? Well Apparently not!

It seems as though the more we experiment with robotics, the more the classic 1984 film Terminator becomes something much more than just a fictional story produced in Hollywood. Scientists today have found ways to develop robots that can speak and think in ways eerily similar to those of real human beings, robotic animals that can strut across practically any terrain with ease, and even technologically advanced equipment that could one day lead to super strong humanoid robots.

According to researchers at the Columbia University School of Engineering and Applied Science, we may now be one step closer to lifelike robots thanks to the creation of a 3D-printable synthetic soft muscle that doesn’t require an external compressor or high voltage equipment and is capable of lifting 1000 times its own weight.

Prior to this technological achievement, no material has had the ability to function as a soft muscle due to a lack of required properties such as high actuation stress and high strain. But now, scientists at Columbia University seem to have found a way around this issue, and the result is nothing short of a significant step forward in the world of robotic technology.

“We’ve been making great strides toward making robots minds, but robot bodies are still primitive,” explained Hod Lipson, a professor of mechanical engineering at Columbia University. “This is a big piece of the puzzle and, like biology, the new actuator can be shaped and reshaped a thousand ways. We’ve overcome one of the final barriers to making lifelike robots.”

http://investmentwatchblog.com/scientists-develop-terminator-robot-super-strength-material-that-could-allow-military-hunter-killers-to-strangle-you-to-death/

Hearing the words "3D-printable synthetic soft muscle" fills me with an unknown emotion.... Maybe it's dread... It's close to dread! Yes!

Siddrix    1,039

They gotta catch me first...

I will be waiting on them with a Claymore... Lol