Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Hello, readers! Please consider adding conspiracyoutpost.com to your adblock whitelist. Our ads support the development and upkeep of the site.
abigfatzero

Sweden Removes Pippi Longstocking From Libraries Over ‘Racist’ Term

abigfatzero    2,160

Sweden Removes Pippi Longstocking From Libraries Over ‘Racist’ Term

Swedish authorities are removing some editions of the classic children’s book series, Pippi Longstocking, from libraries over concerns that a term cited within the books could be perceived as racist.

The series of books by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren, which first began in 1945, is considered to be a staple in children’s literature for its empowering and unconventional female character. The stores have been adapted to film and TV in the decades since they were written and translated into dozens of different languages.

According to Breitbart, the council of the Botkyrka municipality is “destroying” the books after removing them from libraries. The council first claimed that it was simply removing them because they were “worn out” or “outdated,” and had to be removed to make room for other, newer titles.

The officials later admitted that they were replacing older versions of the books over perceived racism.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/21/sweden-removes-pippi-longstocking-from-libraries-over-racist-term/

:grumph:

:facepalm-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon: Unbelievable.........

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Eve    249

Weeeell....

"Newer versions of the books omit the phrase “king of the Negroes” or “negro king,” replacing the terms with “king of the South Seas.” The term was originally used to describe Pippi’s father."

• Like 1

abigfatzero    2,160
1 minute ago, Eve said:

Weeeell....

"Newer versions of the books omit the phrase “king of the Negroes” or “negro king,” replacing the terms with “king of the South Seas.” The term was originally used to describe Pippi’s father."

Weeeell...what

Where does this insanity stop, I bet it wasn't a person of color who did this, it was probably a white sjw busy body who "perceived" a possibly racist term.

Sweden is the rape capital of the west, but, who cares about that, we need to burn books because it has a word that "could be perceived as racist", the word Negro and the feewings of "immigrants" is more important than rape to these idiots.

The only other country in the world that has more rapes is some turd-world country in south Africa.

AztlanRising    341

Who's this Pippi Longstocking you speak of?? This is an unknown character to me. However I do know Pepi Long-Socks: [5 mins]

;):afro::p

sybdragon    1,364

They got rid of Mark Twain for the same reason in the USA. I'm waiting on them to get rid of Alice in Wonderland. There is a black queen in it. But the red queen has the starring role and that is so racist. There's also a 'white' racist rabbit that is late, late for a very important date that a 'white' Alice is chasing. After all, if they can make Little Annie black from a red headed, freckle faced kid, why not Alice in Wonderland? Alice is blond with blue eyes. Not PC enough for today's crowd.   :dry:

Eve    249
1 hour ago, abigfatzero said:

Weeeell...what

Where does this insanity stop, I bet it wasn't a person of color who did this, it was probably a white sjw busy body who "perceived" a possibly racist term.

Sweden is the rape capital of the west, but, who cares about that, we need to burn books because it has a word that "could be perceived as racist", the word Negro and the feewings of "immigrants" is more important than rape to these idiots.

The only other country in the world that has more rapes is some turd-world country in south Africa.

Well, you left the meat of the article out: what exactly was the "racist term". And removing the books are only a part of what they're doing, they then are replacing the books with updated versions that don't include the word "negro" as it is considered offensive. Since these are children's books, it makes certain sense to update the book to remove language deemed offensive. There is the option to leave the word, hoping teachers are there to explain the linguistic historical significance; however, that would ultimately shift the core focus of the book to that word. 

A more interesting question would be why such an 'offensive' word is to be found in a children's book in the first place? The word "negro" get its roots from the Spanish/Portuguese language, where "negro" simply means "black". Additionally, it is also connected to the Latin word for black, "niger". Many European and American cultures took to using the word or a similar word, such as the Germanic countries which used the word "neger". And, up until the late 1960's, in The States the term "negro" was considered the more polite term as many took offensive to being called "black". This influence can be seen as recently as 2010, were the United States Census Bureau included the term "Negro" alongside the options, "Black" and "African-American", in order to appeal to older Americans who prefer the nomenclature. This explains why the word was there in the first place, and illustrates the flamboyant nature of the psychology behind terminology. 

I won't assume the race of those who take offense from the Pippy Longstock book, but I do agree that this is 'low hanging fruit'. Due to the historical nature of the word, it would appear this is more race-baiting akin to the offense taken by the raw cotton as decoration. It's a children's book, so there won't be much push back - lest they're interested in being blamed for inciting racism in children.

I don't see why you mention rape and rape culture, seeing how the article and subject matter have nothing to do with that. Though, the statistics are misleading. Two big reasons for that is gender equality and language. Sweden's progress towards gender equality creates an environment where women are more willing to report having been raped, even in cases where it happens within a relationship. It is easy for Westerners to take such an ablility for granted whereas in Japan, for example, the culture places a higher taboo on causing a scene leaving victims silent. Or, in the case of Qatar, where it is illegal to have sex out of marriage, even if you're raped - even if you're drugged and raped. Then there is so much lost in translation. Some countries have more strict or more lax definitions for what exactly constitutes "rape". In Sweden, the word for "rape" would better be translated as "sexual harassment" and contains a wide and vast number of transgressions. These are all reported individually, meaning some victims account for multiple reports. Not so fun fact: in 2015 there were a reported 56 rapes per 100.000 people in Sweden, 39 in the USA, and 7 in The Netherlands - though, these statistics do not reflect the cases that go unreported. 

sybdragon    1,364
34 minutes ago, Eve said:

Well, you left the meat of the article out: what exactly was the "racist term". And removing the books are only a part of what they're doing, they then are replacing the books with updated versions that don't include the word "negro" as it is considered offensive. Since these are children's books, it makes certain sense to update the book to remove language deemed offensive. There is the option to leave the word, hoping teachers are there to explain the linguistic historical significance; however, that would ultimately shift the core focus of the book to that word. 

A more interesting question would be why such an 'offensive' word is to be found in a children's book in the first place? The word "negro" get its roots from the Spanish/Portuguese language, where "negro" simply means "black". Additionally, it is also connected to the Latin word for black, "niger". Many European and American cultures took to using the word or a similar word, such as the Germanic countries which used the word "neger". And, up until the late 1960's, in The States the term "negro" was considered the more polite term as many took offensive to being called "black". This influence can be seen as recently as 2010, were the United States Census Bureau included the term "Negro" alongside the options, "Black" and "African-American", in order to appeal to older Americans who prefer the nomenclature. This explains why the word was there in the first place, and illustrates the flamboyant nature of the psychology behind terminology. 

I won't assume the race of those who take offense from the Pippy Longstock book, but I do agree that this is 'low hanging fruit'. Due to the historical nature of the word, it would appear this is more race-baiting akin to the offense taken by the raw cotton as decoration. It's a children's book, so there won't be much push back - lest they're interested in being blamed for inciting racism in children.

I don't see why you mention rape and rape culture, seeing how the article and subject matter have nothing to do with that. Though, the statistics are misleading. Two big reasons for that is gender equality and language. Sweden's progress towards gender equality creates an environment where women are more willing to report having been raped, even in cases where it happens within a relationship. It is easy for Westerners to take such an ablility for granted whereas in Japan, for example, the culture places a higher taboo on causing a scene leaving victims silent. Or, in the case of Qatar, where it is illegal to have sex out of marriage, even if you're raped - even if you're drugged and raped. Then there is so much lost in translation. Some countries have more strict or more lax definitions for what exactly constitutes "rape". In Sweden, the word for "rape" would better be translated as "sexual harassment" and contains a wide and vast number of transgressions. These are all reported individually, meaning some victims account for multiple reports. Not so fun fact: in 2015 there were a reported 56 rapes per 100.000 people in Sweden, 39 in the USA, and 7 in The Netherlands - though, these statistics do not reflect the cases that go unreported. 

What I have found is that the age of the kids that will read these books will not find the word strange or insulting unless someone told them it was. If the child I was reading the book to, asked me about why the word was in the book, I would explain about how, when the book's author was writing this book way back in history before the kid was born, that that word was common and was not considered an insult and that if we change all the words in all the books that offend us.... We would not have any 'cool and great' stories to read anymore. People should not be worried about words in a book. Those words can not bite you. Everyone around you doesn't think of the kid that way. It's just an old, good story. 

If a child under the age of 10-12 talks about racism, it's something he learned at home while suckling on the breast. It's not something a kid is born with. It's taught. Look around, you can find the racist weirdos through their kids. And ya know what? I used to get insulted when someone wanted to touch my hair too. They wanted to feel how silky it was as it shined like a copper penny in the sun.... keep your hands to yourself... It's funny sometimes, when I go out to places. You are sitting there watching the show/game/whatever and you feel something grab your hair. You turn around and the mom is saying, "I'm so sorry. So sorry." :gsbrnint:  Don't ask me. Babies love to grab my dang hair. But it's something kids learn.... And it's taught at home until they are over 12 or so and get out into the world to experience more of it.... 

Basically, I would read the book to the kids or wait for a kid to come ask me. I would say, that is not going to happen unless the kid has one of those SJW or illogical parents that sees racism everywhere. My parents didn't read the books I read when I was reading that era of books. I knew how to use a dictionary and the card catalog at the library. They didn't have time to read all the books I read. I read all the time back then. I started at one end of the shelf of library books and read down the row until I had read the entire shelf. Yes, I am OCD like that. :gsbrnint:  I read all the books in my library and the librarian let me go to the adult books after that. That's where I really discovered the great and excellent stories of the sci fi genre. Mysteries? Science fiction was so much better than any other genre but history. I have always had a thing for history. Good ole days..... :) 

Personally, iMHO. If they have a problem with a word in a book, they can put in a foreword that explains the history of the times or something. Don't touch the book. Do not remove books because they are controversial. That is idiotic. How do you know what you like if you do not experience different things? Books are to explore. Not a chore. They need to leave well enough alone. Crybabies is what they are. 

These crybabies are all over the world too. Infected with these little germs and they need to take some chill pills so they don't have heart attacks while throwing their little temper tantrums. Dr. Suess is now racist. http://www.hbook.com/2017/09/blogs/family-reading/dear-mrs-trump/#_

Snippet: Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes. Open one of his books (If I Ran a Zoo or And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, for example), and you’ll see the racist mockery in his art. Gr ace Hwang Lynch’s School Library Journal article, “Is the Cat in the Hat Racist? Read Across America Shifts Away from Dr. Seuss and Toward Diverse Books,” reports on Katie Ishizuka’s work analyzing the minstrel characteristics and trope nature of Seuss’s characters. Scholar Philip Nel’s new book, Was the Cat in the Hat Black? The Hidden Racism of Children’s Literature, and the Need for Diverse Books, further explores and shines a spotlight on the systemic racism and oppression in education and literature.  end snippet....

This is an entitled SJW that doesn't know what she is talking about and has taken it upon herself to steal books from the children of the school she works at. She mentions in her letter that her students were very excited to read the First Lady's letter and see the plagues and stuff on the books. Then she snatched them away from her very happy and excited kindergarteners or 1st, 2nd graders and told them they could not have them. She showed them the candy and snatched it away as soon as they were fixing to put it into their mouths. And she, and she alone, made this decision without asking any other school official or student or teacher or anyone else. Like she owns the school and is the school's dictator and can legally, morally or ethically do this. She can not. She stole those books from those kids by returning them or even removing them from the school grounds and not planning to bring them back. She is trash and needs to be throw out with the trash too. Charged with theft of school property also. The laws are clear on this fact and subject. This is a 'taxpayer funded' school. She has stolen from the taxpayers in that school district. Guess she didn't think that one through. Now if the pansy ass school board would follow through and press charges and fire her for stealing... That would be fair and blind justice. :)  She is a psycho b!tch sounds like to me. That is in the schools? I would be scared to send my kid there. Homeschooling is the best way to keep your kids from getting infected by their mind diseases these SJWs seem to be experiencing. Talk about nervy.... Just the nerve of the woman is amazing... :angry:

• Like 1

Eve    249
32 minutes ago, sybdragon said:

What I have found is that the age of the kids that will read these books will not find the word strange or insulting unless someone told them it was. If the child I was reading the book to, asked me about why the word was in the book, I would explain about how, when the book's author was writing this book way back in history before the kid was born, that that word was common and was not considered an insult and that if we change all the words in all the books that offend us.... We would not have any 'cool and great' stories to read anymore. People should not be worried about words in a book. Those words can not bite you. Everyone around you doesn't think of the kid that way. It's just an old, good story. 

If a child under the age of 10-12 talks about racism, it's something he learned at home while suckling on the breast. It's not something a kid is born with. It's taught. Look around, you can find the racist weirdos through their kids. And ya know what? I used to get insulted when someone wanted to touch my hair too. They wanted to feel how silky it was as it shined like a copper penny in the sun.... keep your hands to yourself... It's funny sometimes, when I go out to places. You are sitting there watching the show/game/whatever and you feel something grab your hair. You turn around and the mom is saying, "I'm so sorry. So sorry." Don't ask me. Babies love to grab my dang hair. But it's something kids learn.... And it's taught at home until they are over 12 or so and get out into the world to experience more of it.... 

Basically, I would read the book to the kids or wait for a kid to come ask me. I would say, that is not going to happen unless the kid has one of those SJW or illogical parents that sees racism everywhere. My parents didn't read the books I read when I was reading that era of books. I knew how to use a dictionary and the card catalog at the library. They didn't have time to read all the books I read. I read all the time back then. I started at one end of the shelf of library books and read down the row until I had read the entire shelf. Yes, I am OCD like that. :gsbrnint:  I read all the books in my library and the librarian let me go to the adult books after that. That's where I really discovered the great and excellent stories of the sci fi genre. Mysteries? Science fiction was so much better than any other genre but history. I have always had a thing for history. Good ole days..... :) 

Personally, iMHO. If they have a problem with a word in a book, they can put in a foreword that explains the history of the times or something. Don't touch the book. Do not remove books because they are controversial. That is idiotic. How do you know what you like if you do not experience different things? Books are to explore. Not a chore. They need to leave well enough alone. Crybabies is what they are. 

These crybabies are all over the world too. Infected with these little germs and they need to take some chill pills so they don't have heart attacks while throwing their little temper tantrums. Dr. Suess is now racist. http://www.hbook.com/2017/09/blogs/family-reading/dear-mrs-trump/#_

Snippet: Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes. Open one of his books (If I Ran a Zoo or And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, for example), and you’ll see the racist mockery in his art. Gr ace Hwang Lynch’s School Library Journal article, “Is the Cat in the Hat Racist? Read Across America Shifts Away from Dr. Seuss and Toward Diverse Books,” reports on Katie Ishizuka’s work analyzing the minstrel characteristics and trope nature of Seuss’s characters. Scholar Philip Nel’s new book, Was the Cat in the Hat Black? The Hidden Racism of Children’s Literature, and the Need for Diverse Books, further explores and shines a spotlight on the systemic racism and oppression in education and literature.  end snippet....

This is an entitled SJW that doesn't know what she is talking about and has taken it upon herself to steal books from the children of the school she works at. She mentions in her letter that her students were very excited to read the First Lady's letter and see the plagues and stuff on the books. Then she snatched them away from her very happy and excited kindergarteners or 1st, 2nd graders and told them they could not have them. She showed them the candy and snatched it away as soon as they were fixing to put it into their mouths. And she, and she alone, made this decision without asking any other school official or student or teacher or anyone else. Like she owns the school and is the school's dictator and can legally, morally or ethically do this. She can not. She stole those books from those kids by returning them or even removing them from the school grounds and not planning to bring them back. She is trash and needs to be throw out with the trash too. Charged with theft of school property also. The laws are clear on this fact and subject. This is a 'taxpayer funded' school. She has stolen from the taxpayers in that school district. Guess she didn't think that one through. Now if the pansy ass school board would follow through and press charges and fire her for stealing... That would be fair and blind justice. :)  She is a psycho b!tch sounds like to me. That is in the schools? I would be scared to send my kid there. Homeschooling is the best way to keep your kids from getting infected by their mind diseases these SJWs seem to be experiencing. Talk about nervy.... Just the nerve of the woman is amazing... 

I always happy to see that you've replied to me. :) I really enjoy your responses. That's a very eloquent solution! I have to say, it's that it's a children's book that made me reluctant to disagree with the action taken. Ideally, I figured, we could live in a world where words didn't hold such weight - and being put in such a position is evidence to the global craziness. And while that still may be true, what you propose is right. 

I'm not too familiar with Dr. Suess, but that's not cool of that teacher. :angry:Sooo many things wrong with that. 

(Soo, I had to delete a couple of your emojis because there is an emoji limit! What understandable craziness.)

sybdragon    1,364
1 minute ago, Eve said:

I always happy to see that you've replied to me. :) I really enjoy your responses. That's a very eloquent solution! I have to say, it's that it's a children's book that made me reluctant to disagree with the action taken. Ideally, I figured, we could live in a world where words didn't hold such weight - and being put in such a position is evidence to the global craziness. And while that still may be true, what you propose is right. 

I'm not too familiar with Dr. Suess, but that's not cool of that teacher. :angry:Sooo many things wrong with that. 

(Soo, I had to delete a couple of your emojis because there is an emoji limit! What understandable craziness.)

I am always happy to talk to you too. I enjoy our conversations. They are great!!! :) 

:gsbrnint:  I delete some emojis too because of the 5 limit. I tend to use my 5 up in my postings.  :gsbrnint:

This has only started a few years ago. The first I noticed it was Mark Twain books. I fought against it and I lost. I knew that it would continue. And this is where we are today.... It has to stop. If it's not, we will not have any books left to read. All books have something in them offense to someone. What's next? Remove all religious books because every religion is offended by what the other religion is for? Where does it stop? This is just insane..... Totally insane..... Here's an article from 2011 that I agree with about this subject. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/books/07huck.html?pagewanted=all

• Like 1