Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

TWITTER founder: Social media helping to 'dumb entire world down'...

Ukshep    18,649

Donald Trump is a symptom of a media environment based on short attention spans that is making the world stupider, one of the founders of Twitter has said.

Evan Williams, one of the co-founders of the network, said Trump’s election highlighted a wider issue about how social media platforms were helping to “dumb the entire world down” and undermining our sense of truth.

Earlier this year Trump said he would not be president if it “wasn’t for Twitter”.

Williams was asked whether Trump’s prolific use of Twitter had given him pause for thought, during an interview with BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/13/twitter-founder-trump-presidency-short-attention-spans-evan-williams

You know there is a bit of truth to some of this... As in social media has indeed dumbed and I would say Numbed the world down!

londonorchar    317
44 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Donald Trump is a symptom of a media environment based on short attention spans that is making the world stupider, one of the founders of Twitter has said.

Evan Williams, one of the co-founders of the network, said Trump’s election highlighted a wider issue about how social media platforms were helping to “dumb the entire world down” and undermining our sense of truth.

Earlier this year Trump said he would not be president if it “wasn’t for Twitter”.

Williams was asked whether Trump’s prolific use of Twitter had given him pause for thought, during an interview with BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/13/twitter-founder-trump-presidency-short-attention-spans-evan-williams

You know there is a bit of truth to some of this... As in social media has indeed dumbed and I would say Numbed the world down!

All of the current technology is helping dumb people down!  Before the day of cell phones, one had to memorize friends and families phone numbers, not now!  Schools are also to blame as students now have spellcheck readily available rather than look up a misspelled word!  I could go on but you get the picture!

Ukshep    18,649
14 minutes ago, londonorchar said:

All of the current technology is helping dumb people down!  Before the day of cell phones, one had to memorize friends and families phone numbers, not now!  Schools are also to blame as students now have spellcheck readily available rather than look up a misspelled word!  I could go on but you get the picture!

People use their brain less overall. Simplest explanation I think!

Cinnamon    21,560

Social media has allowed people to act like asses when they'd never have the guts to do it in real life. 

Ukshep    18,649
3 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Social media has allowed people to act like asses when they'd never have the guts to do it in real life. 

This. Sometimes that is a good thing but there are a lot of people out in the world who get their energy and kicks from hurting people for no reason. They are the reason for much of the pain on the web. Social Vampires.

A small price to pay. If you are a smart person the above is never an issue.

Cinnamon    21,560
Just now, Ukshep said:

This. Sometimes that is a good thing but there are a lot of people out in the world who get their energy and kicks from hurting people for no reason. They are the reason for much of the pain on the web. Social Vampires.

A small price to pay. If you are a smart person the above is never an issue.

Yeah but there are plenty of people who let the trolls get to them. I used to let the chat assholes get to me and the slags over on Alien Earth as well. Then one day you told me they are just rats scurrying around my ankles and you were right. F them all. Those who do nothing... but grow old in those rooms as they drink themselves to death. Sad, actually. 

Dr. Evil    1,546

You've only got to look at the decline in book readership to realise this. Attention span < 15 mins. Thing is: is it deliberate? IMO, yes.

Cryptic Mole    4,249

I disagree. I see technology as actually making people smarter. However, what I do see is that technology is also making people lazy! So what we now have is a society of lazy individuals who are technically smart, but too fvcking lazy to carry out their technological tasks. :gsbrnint: