Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

"Ask Your Doctor" Commercials, Something really odd about that

Cinnamon    21,926

They're still pushing the drugs on tv the same as they were when I had cable a few years ago.  Anyway, when I heard those commercials, I would start to feel strange, ill in a way.  My sister said they were doing the same thing to her. She also ditched her cable at around the same time. We talked about that a lot and neither one of us felt that way when watching other commercials. 

Probably something subliminal in them, don't watch them, I think it's doing something negative to our minds and it's able to affect the body as well. 

EDIT: See below post.. they are increasing it!  

Blipkints    298

Illegal to promote drugs on tv in Aus, infact I haven't seen a Panadol add for a while, there is spring though so we get hayfever adds.

Cinnamon    21,926

Oh, well... look at this! 

Pharma TV ad spend promoting prescription drugs has increased 62 percent since 2012

Spending on such commercials grew 62 percent since 2012, even as ad spending for most other product types was flat.

“Pharmaceutical advertising has grown more in the past four years than any other leading ad category,” said Jon Swallen, chief research officer at Kantar Media, a consulting firm that tracks multimedia advertising. It exceeded $6 billion last year, with television picking up the lion’s share, according to Kantar data. Shows such as the major network’s evening news programs, the CBS comedy “Mike & Molly” and ABC’s daytime drama “General Hospital” are heavy with drug ads, Kantar data show.

But the proliferation of drug advertisements has generated new controversy, in part because the ads inevitably promote high-priced drugs, some of which doctors say have limited practical utility for the average patient-viewer. The cost of Lyrica, the drug Ries was asked about for her mom, is about $400 for 60 capsules, for example. Critics say the ads encourage patients to ask their doctors for expensive, often marginal — and sometimes inappropriate — drugs that are fueling spiraling health care spending.

The American Medical Association took a hard-line position on these ads in 2015 by calling for a ban, saying “direct-to-consumer advertising also inflates demand for new and more expensive drugs, even when these drugs may not be appropriate.”

Such a prohibition is unlikely. Previous efforts to push such an outcome have stalled, generally on free-speech arguments by the powerful drug lobby and assertions that such ads provide valuable information to patients about treatment options.

Spending zooms

One thing is certain: DTC advertising is big. And, as nearly everyone who watches TV knows, it’s getting bigger.

<snip>

http://medcitynews.com/2017/03/pharma-tv-ad-spend-promoting-prescription-drugs/

Cinnamon    21,926
4 minutes ago, Blipkints said:

Illegal to promote drugs on tv in Aus, infact I haven't seen a Panadol add for a while, there is spring though so we get hayfever adds.

At the end of the ones they run here, they actually tell you that your liver, kidneys and heart might be damaged from taking those poisons. 

SiKniSS    55

Not that I watch a lot of TV anymore but I do see it in passing when I flip on Nick jr for the kid.

The amount of drug ad's these days is crazy. I guess they're making money hand over fist. With the our government running protection for them, they can't lose.

You don't see many retail or brick and mortar store ad's anymore. Their profits have plummeted from the Amazon's and Wal-Mart's.

The face of TV has changed completely, unrecognizable from when I was a kid. In the 80's, I used to love music on MTV and it's become a pregnant teen marathon. All of the scripted bullshit reality shows are repulsive. I don't know how anyone stomachs it anymore.

Oh yeah they're doped up from the drug ad's, what do they care.

Sky Cat    1,406
3 hours ago, Blipkints said:

Same over here, it's illegal to do that.

levinyl    22

same here In the uk - - I always thought it was weird in the us adverts with how many symptoms they read out - Its like if you suffer from - cold , flu , back pain, foot pain, cramp, muscle spasms , sleepiness and read out about 20 more really fast im like wtf they are naming almost everything in order to catch someone and get them worried so they end up asking their doctor

levinyl    22
48 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

Same over here, it's illegal to do that.

same here In the uk - - I always thought it was weird in the us adverts with how many symptoms they read out - Its like if you suffer from - cold , flu , back pain, foot pain, cramp, muscle spasms , sleepiness and read out about 20 more really fast im like wtf they are naming almost everything in order to catch someone and get them worried so they end up asking their doctor

Zing    851

Ask your doctor about: 

Mo-Van-tik

What is Movantik?

Movantik (naloxegol) is a prescription medicine that blocks certain effects of narcotic medicines. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic.

Movantik is used to treat opioid induced constipation (OIC) caused by prescription pain medicines called narcotic or opiates, in adults with long-lasting (chronic) pain that is not caused by cancer. Naloxegol treats constipation without reducing the pain-relieving effects of the narcotic.

this is the commercial I think about when I hear about drugs being pushed over the TV.

:gsbrnint:

Zing    851
5 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

At the end of the ones they run here, they actually tell you that your liver, kidneys and heart might be damaged from taking those poisons. 

And they have drugs to help you with the side effects of chemotherapy that you take at home instead of staying in the hospital. At the end of the commercial it said something like ..... and may cause death.