Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carnivalpunk

Do "poor mans patents" work?

Carnivalpunk    527

I have a good idea and thinking of patenting it. That will take some time to get. Until then, while I'm working on it, I need to know that my effort won't be wasted. 

Can you still send a certified letter to yourself to hold claim on an invention? 

Darth Synder    103

I remember something years ago about sending an email to yourself would work. Something about the date and time being fixed as part of the email. I used to write a lot of fiction material and would copy it and send it to my email every so often as a poor man's patent. I don't know if it would hold up in court but it was at least something to prove I was the original author. 

Carnivalpunk    527
1 minute ago, Darth Synder said:

I remember something years ago about sending an email to yourself would work. Something about the date and time being fixed as part of the email. I used to write a lot of fiction material and would copy it and send it to my email every so often as a poor man's patent. I don't know if it would hold up in court but it was at least something to prove I was the original author. 

I've been reading up on it with mixed results. Some say it helps other say no. 

Ukshep    18,649
3 minutes ago, Darth Synder said:

Best method is to send mail to yourself with the idea, your plan etc and send it recorded delivery to yourself. Proof of timeline yours.

kbet    835
20 hours ago, Carnivalpunk said:

I have a good idea and thinking of patenting it. That will take some time to get. Until then, while I'm working on it, I need to know that my effort won't be wasted. 

Can you still send a certified letter to yourself to hold claim on an invention? 

No. They changed the patent law from "first to invent" to first to file the paperwork. So, mail it or email it to yourself, big corps will steal and patent it first. You can still use what you developed, but you cannot market it.

If you do mail something (your idea) to yourself don't ever open it unless the need arises (IE: Court, ETC). Helps to null and void any tampering accusations...