Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrustNoOneKS

American Green Tree Frog In Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas

TrustNoOneKS    147

Hey guys, I thought would share this with you since I think it's pretty cool that I found this frog in a part of the country it's not supposed to live in.  I'll just go ahead and paste in the story from the video:

So, I was sitting at my computer and for an hour or two I kept hearing a weird noise and it took me a while to isolate that it was coming from my third floor balcony.  I opened the window and saw this very unusual little frog out there and snapped 2 still images.

I then decided to try to also get some video footage because I wasn't sure if the still images were good enough.  Please excuse the poor filming.  I was filming before I opened the door because I wanted the camera already going before I stepped outside.  Also, it's a lot harder than you would think to focus a camera on a little frog while also trying to shine a flashlight on it to illuminate it and get good angles of it, so excuse the odd filming at those sequences.  It also didn't help that it was raining at the time.

I came back inside and did some research on what could climb up 3 stories and be located in Kansas.  The thing is that he doesn't match any of the known tree frogs in Kansas.  He does bear a very striking resemblance to the American Green Tree Frog though.  Further research reveals though that this is not their habitat (he's out there croaking right now while I'm typing this) and that the last known American Green Tree Frog in Kansas was 1975.

I thought this was pretty cool to get one by mere chance (he's croaking again) on a 3rd story balcony in Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas.

The first part of the video is the video footage I took, then there are the 2 still shots I took, and finally 2 screenshots showing their habitat and that they haven't been reported here since 1975.

Here is a link on the American Green Tree Frog:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_green_tree_frog

Here is the link I found where they haven't been reported in Kansas since 1975:

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=53

rocorollo    38

I like your awareness, the frog I like too. My Dad was born in KC so we spent a lot of time visiting Grandma and Grandpa. My brothers and sisters played so happy in those parts. Easily the most beautiful place on earth.

TrustNoOneKS    147

He was still out there about 15 minutes ago.  I'm going to wait another half hour or so for it to get a little brighter to see if I can get even better footage.

TrustNoOneKS    147

Well, when I went back out around 8:00 a.m. when the lighting was better, he was gone.  I did end up hearing him croaking out there again tonight around 10:45, but my granddaugther was here and I was afraid to go out and try to find him while she was here because I was afraid she might frighten him.  If I hear him again now that she's gone, I will go out and see if I can find him and get some more footage.