Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGK

China protests U.S. warship approaching reef of Nansha Islands

CGK    2,624

So while we are all focused on North Korea.....

China on Thursday voiced strong protest against a U.S. Navy warship passing close to the Meiji Reef of the Nansha Islands in the South China Sea.

The USS John S. McCain illegally entered the waters near the reef and conducted a so-called "freedom of navigation operation" on Thursday without permission of the Chinese government, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said, adding the Chinese Navy identified the U.S. warship, warned and expelled it.

"Such a move severely undermines China's sovereignty and security, and severely endangers the safety of frontline personnel of both sides," he said.

"China has indisputable sovereignty of the Nansha Islands and its adjacent waters," Geng said.

<snip>

"China has the firm determination to safeguard its territorial sovereignty and maritime interests," Geng said, reiterating that the U.S. provocation will force China to take further measures to strengthen homeland defense capacity.

More: http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0811/c90883-9253842.html

Cinnamon    22,923
3 minutes ago, CGK said:

The USS John S. McCain illegally entered the waters

:scream1:  Oh, the irony! 

CGK    2,624

China's Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that the trespassing of a US missile destroyer in China's territorial waters violated Chinese and international law, severely harmed Chinese sovereignty and security and seriously endangered the lives of soldiers at the front line.

Under the pretext of "navigation freedom", the USS John S. McCain destroyer traveled to the waters close to the reefs and islets of China's Nansha Islands on Thursday without China's approval, the ministry said in a statement posted on its website late Thursday.

China sent warnings to the destroyer and urged it to leave, according to the statement.

"China is very displeased with this and will bring up the issue with the US side," Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said in the statement. "The provocations of the US would compel China to take measures to increase its defense capabilities buildups."

More: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2017-08/11/content_30442816.htm

apache54    4,867
8 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

:scream1:  Oh, the irony! 

YUP!!

it would be funny if it was not so dis-heartening!!

apache54    4,867
1 hour ago, Ukshep said:

To be expected given the current tension!

YUP!!

i am sure you smell the lies and the pretense leading up to all of this!!

Ukshep    20,050
22 minutes ago, apache54 said:

YUP!!

i am sure you smell the lies and the pretense leading up to all of this!!

Oh I do. Feels like they are ready to make the move. Just not sure if they think they can get it past us so it may not go ahead.

apache54    4,867
Just now, Ukshep said:

Oh I do. Feels like they are ready to make the move. Just not sure if they think they can get it past us so it may not go ahead.

I keep wondering how long will they keep taking us to the edge and then back off?? one of these they will jump!!

Blipkints    306
6 minutes ago, apache54 said:

I keep wondering how long will they keep taking us to the edge and then back off?? one of these they will jump!!

They don't have Warthogs & Apache!