Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Hello, readers! Please consider adding conspiracyoutpost.com to your adblock whitelist. Our ads support the development and upkeep of the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ukshep

Scientists create the first mutant ants

Ukshep    17,194

Despite what you might've seen in 1950s monster movies, it's difficult to raise mutant ants. For years biologists have altered the genetics of organisms as varied as mice and rice. Mutant fruit flies are a laboratory staple. But ants' complex life cycle hampered efforts to grow genetically engineered ants — until now.

On Thursday, two independent research teams described their work deleting ant genes. Two papers chronicling the first mutant ants appeared in the journal Cell, along with a third study that altered ant behavior using an insect brain hormone.

Claude Desplan, a New York University biologist and an author of one of the studies, said that, as far as he could tell, these ants are “the first mutant in any social insect.”

Ants have complex social roles, even though members of a colony are genetically very similar. Females may be egg-laying queens or sterile workers, colony cleaners or fierce soldiers. Males, who are little more than sperm-delivery systems with wings, appear only seasonally. To ensure the mutant genes carry on, “you need to go through the queen,” Desplan said. “It is not so easy to make queens.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/08/10/scientists-create-the-first-mutant-ants/?utm_term=.12e611e8752d

Mutant ants you say?  :blink:

Cinnamon    20,004
26 minutes ago, Zimix99 said:

Oh, please God no, not ants, anything but ants ;-; :pulling-hair:

I hate them, too. They're already mutants as far as I'm concerned. One interesting thing about them, though, you can tell when it's going to rain because they hide. However, they are totalitarians and keep aphids prisoner until they put them on your plants and then use the secretion of the aphids as food... after they bit off their wings. 

Zimix99    760
Just now, Cinnamon said:

I hate them, too. They're already mutants as far as I'm concerned. One interesting thing about them, though, you can tell when it's going to rain because they hide. However, they are totalitarians and keep aphids prisoner until they put them on your plants and then use the secretion of the aphids as food... after they bit off their wings. 

The only thing i hate more than ants are bedbugs. Damn things... Like they aren't bad enough with out us modifying them. They out number humanity 100000000000:1, 1 spark of intelligence and its all over for us.

Jump To Top