Jump to content
Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Hello, readers! Please consider adding conspiracyoutpost.com to your adblock whitelist. Our ads support the development and upkeep of the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IRONMAN1959

California crop rot

Recommended Posts

 IRONMAN1959    136

Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

Farmers say they're having trouble hiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.

The ongoing battle about U.S. immigration policies is blamed for the shortage. The vast majority of California's farm workers are foreign born, with many coming from Mexico. However, the PEW Research Center reports more Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than coming here.

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that's not proving enough.

http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/immigration-worker-shortage-rotting-crops/

My wife while doing the shopping has noticed the vegetables are picked to early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any excuse to jack prices up.  And then when the labor shortage turns into a labor glut the prices stay high and never look back.   Eggs the only exception I've ever noticed, surely because I have chickens the price went back down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    19,692

Ok, then pay Californians enough money to pick the veggies, American ones, that is. Then if the price has to go up, I won't mind. Otherwise, let the shit rot. Sick of the propaganda. Their day without Mexicans was a complete flop, other than traffic was a lot less that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    19,692
1 hour ago, IRONMAN1959 said:

My wife while doing the shopping has noticed the vegetables are picked to early.

I paid 5 bucks for a sugar baby watermelon and it was green when I cut it open. And same happened with "organic" apples. No smell or taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Tarmalen    1,163
2 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

I paid 5 bucks for a sugar baby watermelon and it was green when I cut it open. And same happened with "organic" apples. No smell or taste.

Nothing tastes better than vine ripened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    19,692
Just now, Smudge said:

Get the prisoners On the farms!

problem solved.

I don't think we can do that, since they are the ones that answer the phone at the cc companies and take down all your information. :gsbrnint:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 phxsparks    676
4 hours ago, IRONMAN1959 said:

Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

Farmers say they're having trouble hiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.

The ongoing battle about U.S. immigration policies is blamed for the shortage. The vast majority of California's farm workers are foreign born, with many coming from Mexico. However, the PEW Research Center reports more Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than coming here.

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that's not proving enough.

http://fortune.com/2017/08/08/immigration-worker-shortage-rotting-crops/

My wife while doing the shopping has noticed the vegetables are picked to early.

This is but one reason why its a good time to get into gardening.  Grow some of your own produce.

There are ways to raise a few vegetables in an apartment with a patio or balcony.  Lots of room for creativity!

The fresh tomatoes are wonderful.

Bon Appetit'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    19,692
37 minutes ago, Tarmalen said:

Nothing tastes better than vine ripened.

That's a given but not everyone can grow melons. One melon plant takes 4 square feet of space, minimum. Trying to grow on a trellis is not easy either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    19,692
1 minute ago, phxsparks said:

This is but one reason why its a good time to get into gardening.  Grow some of your own produce.

There are ways to raise a few vegetables in an apartment with a patio or balcony.  Lots of room for creativity!

The fresh tomatoes are wonderful.

Bon Appetit'

I've got kale, a few long bean plants, bell peppers, okra and cucumbers growing now. If I ONLY had some tomatoes! lol I'd be good on veggies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 IRONMAN1959    136
Just now, phxsparks said:

This is but one reason why its a good time to get into gardening.  Grow some of your own produce.

There are ways to raise a few vegetables in an apartment with a patio or balcony.  Lots of room for creativity!

The fresh tomatoes are wonderful.

Bon Appetit'

Only my corn turned out this year. Not very tasty either. Green beans and zucchini didn't even sprout. At least nob hill, sells 4 for a dollar days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jump To Top
×