Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!
Hello, readers! Please consider adding conspiracyoutpost.com to your adblock whitelist. Our ads support the development and upkeep of the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Condor

Career Change

Condor    916

Hey all. 

Some backstory.  I always wanted to be cook/chef while nearing the end of high school.  I love to cook more and more as I get older.  Unfortunately like so many others my age, I was more focused on keeping my Friday and Saturday nights open and the chasing the prospect of making much more money.  Hence I took accounting for a year.  Terrible.  Numbers are no problem and I was the last generation to take Grade 13 OAC (all the maths and sciences) but the profession is dry and boring.

After accounting I took computer engineering to complement my interest in computers/gaming.  Turns out the program was new/rearranged and was a colossal failure.  We had a low graduation rate and even had to have a meeting with the Dean to sort the grading out. 

Finally I decided to take a trade and keep what I learned from computing.  Electrical to be exact.  Schooling was great and I even did part of my apprenticeship in British Columbia.  I am not quite done yet as I still need some more hours for certification.  I enjoyed the work as I got to work with my friends, but as I went out beyond that, I sort of lost interest.  Plus there were complications with a DUI and of course my awakening process. 

I'm at a crossroad now where I feel like I've learned from all my mistakes.  No longer do I care about Friday/Saturday nights & wealth.  I have learned to live simply with good values and spiritual guidance.  I feel as though I should follow this passion now that I have the chance to explore it.  The first steps would be to find a good restaurant to work for and prepare myself for culinary school.  I have a good amount of fast food experience so I'm not totally green in a kitchen environment.  In fact I was team leader and commanded quite well.

What do you think?  Does it sound like I have my mind made up?  Should I finish my electrical ticket as a safety net?  Maybe even work at a kitchen part time? 

Also I know how crazy the world is getting, and I am tackling this a little late in the game, but I'm not going to let that stop me from living my life. 

I appreciate the input and am always glad to share. 

Thank you Chef Ramsey for re-invigorating my love.

Ukshep    16,903

Personally I'd stick with electrical. And while doing that get part time employment at a restaurant. Or find an owner who is looking for someone who wants to make a lifelong career out of it... Get some training. Loyalty is priceless. It is what I would do.

Plus it's a great way to start a work relationship off.

Condor    916
3 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Or find an owner who is looking for someone who wants to make a lifelong career out of it...

I'm not sure I would stay in one place unless of course it turned out to be a terrific. I see myself traveling more to get lots of experience.  That's just off the top of my head.  I suppose it comes down to ambition level really which I'm still sorting out and sure will change. 

Yes I am torn about electrical, but on the flip side working full time at a restaurant will only help to build that foundation faster. 

Thanks for your advice.  :D

Condor    916

A big draw for me is the ability to create something that I can be proud of.  As well as pleasing people. 

The skills of cooking transcends more than electrical as you can talk to anyone and everyone about it, while being able to travel anywhere you want. 

Ukshep    16,903
2 minutes ago, Condor said:

A big draw for me is the ability to create something that I can be proud of.  As well as pleasing people. 

The skills of cooking transcends more than electrical as you can talk to anyone and everyone about it, while being able to travel anywhere you want. 

I can break it down to the simplest form possible. Do what makes you happy. Nothing less.

Lucy Barnable    4,166
11 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Do what makes you happy.

The things that make us happy make us wise.
- Grandfather Trout

Dr. Evil    1,361

I've got a good book on this called Do What You Are by Paul D Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger, ISBN 0-908011-63-6

It uses the Myers-Briggs profile to discern what you're suited for, if you know your M-B let me know it and I'll tell you what it says. Otherwise I'm sure it will be in your local library and it gives you a questionairre. 

Some people diss M-B, all I know is, it gets my traits pretty accurate.

It's a v hard thing to find the thing which does not seem like work, the thing which makes you want to get out of bed on a winter morn. Most people including me, aren't practicing what that is for them. (I came across the book too late, I should have been a journalist... Of course it wouldn't have been in the MSM :) 

Uncle Thanky    931
1 hour ago, Condor said:

Should I finish my electrical ticket as a safety net?  Maybe even work at a kitchen part time? 

IMHO I would.

But only you know what you need to do.

Have you thought about giving up your decision (free will) right straight up to the Lord?  When I give all worries and decisions up to Him, I receive Divine guidance, and then all seems so effortless 😍 ... Grace be with you on your path ...

Cryptic Mole    3,989
4 hours ago, Condor said:

I had an idea for a restaurant call the Keto Cafe.  Based off the ketogenic diet, yet still having some carb options to cover the bases.

How about the Paleo diet where you can call your restaurant Caveman Cafe? lol.

Cryptic Mole    3,989

Both of the following are complete opposites and extremes of one another.

But:

1. Do whichever is the hardest and most challenging to do. The rewards will be that much greater!

Or:

2. Just do what you love doing. Something that's fun.

Jump To Top