Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curenado

DHS Chief Info Officer Quits

Curenado    943

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/08/07/DHS-chief-information-officer-quits-after-3-months/5731502118202/?utm_source=mpcs

The Department of Homeland Security's chief information officer has resigned after only three months in the position, the agency confirmed Monday.

President Donald Trump appointed Richard Staropoli, a former U.S. Secret Service agent, to the position on May 1.

Stephen Rice, the deputy chief information officer, will serve as acting CIO until Trump appoints a replacement, a DHS spokesman said. Staropoli's boss, Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, left the department recently to take over as White House chief of staff.

Kadosh    382

The Deep State sure must employ some awesome early retirement incentives!

Curenado    943

Barry sotero rode on a reputable guys coat tails into dc and made him head of the epa. Whatever he got told, he left with no hope, acting as if the worst was true and worse than we imagine.

Cinnamon    22,790

Another one afraid he was going to get caught doing something and bailed. Until they give a reason our imaginations can go anywhere. 

spooky2    89

Mmm I read recently it was rumored the SS were the ones responsible for that phone call transcript leak. That might play into this.

Dr. Evil    1,640

From the link:

Starpoli previously worked in the private sector as the chief information security officer for Fortress Investment Group, a billion-dollar hedge fund in New York City starting in November 2009. He said he had grand plans to operate the DHS information technology like a trading room.

"The pace at which you operate, not just in New York, but at a hedge fund in New York, is unlike anything else," he said at FedTalks at Night, his first public remarks since taking the role in April. "And that's the pace with which I plan on moving DHS along with respect to IT."

Staropoli physically reorganized his 300-person DHS technology operation.

"We've moved out all these deputies and all these directors from their offices located all over these different buildings that DHS occupies," he explained. "We now occupy one floor, once space in a trading floor concept, so when I need to get something done or a vendor needs to come up and we need to address a problem, I've got every entity I need in one spot. That cuts down on bureaucracy and allows me the maximum benefit of maximizing my time, so we can achieve results."

That just sounds to me like a moronic approach to run an IT division. The DHS business isn't a hedge fund and it doesn't need to act like one indeed imposing Wall St attitudes and processes on a govt dept like that is bound to come a cropper. For instance who cares about what maximises his own time, why is that important? He's one person out of 300. It's maximising the efficiency of the other 299 not his, that should be the focus. And if he can't maximise his own efficiency without having to re-organise the world so it suits him then he doesn't deserve to be CIO at a pre-school. 

Having spent 30 years and counting in large corporates (NZ scale, small to medium to you), it amazes me how the people who get ahead in them are often the most unsuitable, often have high psychopathic tendencies, often have no strategic brain whatsoever, but often have plenty of capacity for taking credit for the work of others, blaming and firing others for the mistakes that they have themselves made, and super high rates of sychophancy toward those who can make a difference to their worthless careers, and similar rates of complete contempt and ruthlessness toward all those colleagues who have nothing to offer them in terms of personal advancement. Middle management are normally fine, the climbers are sometimes like that but most of them are just like us. But climb into the senior ranks and you start getting rates of 3-5:1 ratio of swine to normal.