Just Lookin

Earth curvature pic (unless it can be debunked).

Forgive me if this has been picture has been used in the discussion before, I tend to stay away from flat earth discussion.

With that said i'm not here to say flat earth is debunked, just that from my own observance the picture below suggests earth curvature, without the need to rely on seeing the actual curve of the earth. 

If this isnt proof of curvature i'm very open to discussing why. 

Lake Pontchartrain taken with a P900 on full zoom - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kADO7nkt-rk/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Just Lookin
  • Like 1

There aren't any easy answers.  Otherwise the debate would not have been going on for as long as it has.  There are articles from the 1800s where people are debating on it.  

One could make the argument that the heliocentric deniers are all stupid... That seems to be one of the more prevalent arguments, but it hasn't ever seemed to convince me.  

<shrugs>

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Lookin said:

In the name of fairness, i have also seen this p900 pic that seems to contradict the others - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G5_efcyCjBo/maxresdefault.jpg

I dont claim to understand the disparity, so any input from the knowledgeable would be welcome.

I would say that the level of zoom and atmospheric refraction are the main factors in the differences seen. The above photo is a lower level of zoom, capturing more of what is close to the camera, so the curvature over the horizon would have been difficult to see anyway even without the refraction.

Notice that those power lines march in a nice straight line, directly into the sky above the obvious horizon line marked by the darker water. Refraction at work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Lookin said:

Forgive me if this has been picture has been used in the discussion before, I tend to stay away from flat earth discussion.

With that said i'm not here to say flat earth is debunked, just that from my own observance the picture below suggests earth curvature, without the need to rely on seeing the actual curve of the earth. 

If this isnt proof of curvature i'm very open to discussing why. 

Lake Pontchartrain taken with a P900 on full zoom - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kADO7nkt-rk/maxresdefault.jpg

Good photo of lake Pontchartrain.

Folks there really is a curvature to planet earth.  I work in the field wireless communications.

We deal with the curvature of the earth and its effects on radio propagation all the time.

Its real!   Time for the flat earth crowd to get on with other things.

• Like 4

I think the jury is still out on this FE /Globe argument. There is excellent arguments from both camps and some great debunking from both sides too. There seems overwhelming evidence to say it is flat but my mind and teachings keep telling me it's a globe and it's conflicting like crazy. 

• Like 1

Those photos don't look real to me.  It looks like towers super imposed over a picture. 

I'm not FE or anything else because I can't know for sure without being in space or above earth myself.  I typically avoid these discussions but I just had to comment - the photos look fake. 

(I work in design and use graphic programs - these look like something I could put together with the right photos.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Walk Softly said:

@Just Lookin

My advice, for the little that it's worth is this:

Form your own conclusions.  There are lots of videos on lake Pontchartrain on YouTube.  Both for and against.  

Either way, don't forget to slow down and enjoy the beauty of this world!  A while back I made the decision to try and watch every sunset.  I don't get to them all... But I enjoy the ones I do!! You will see some unforgettable things.  

This is sound advice in every area of life!  Life has most of us going full-tilt without much breathing room.  Building this "slow-down' time into our daily routines will allow us to accomplish a lot more in far little time. 

• Like 4

There's no big bulge on the ocean or land. If there was like you're saying those pics show, it could easily be seen flying over it.  I just flew from San Diego to DC. Perfectly flat horizon and no curvature to be seen. The pilot didn't have to keep dipping the nose of the plane either.  I flew over the Atlantic a few years ago. Didn't fly over a bulge.  The supposed curve in those pics is from some kind of distortion 

Edited by Real?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.