Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Happiness From Being Generous Has a Neural Basis Within the Brain

Cinnamon    22,923

In a study on the psychology of giving, MRI scans revealed that an area of the brain linked to generosity triggered a response in another part related to happiness.

What inspires humans to display acts of generosity? Economists, psychologists and philosophers have pondered this question for millennia. If one assumes that human behavior is primarily motivated by self-interest, it seems illogical to willingly sacrifice resources for others.

In an attempt to solve this paradox, some experts have theorized that giving satisfies a desire to boost one's standing in a group. Others have suggested it fosters tribal cooperation and cohesion — a key element in mammal survival. Yet another explanation is that we give only because we expect to receive something in return.

The real answer, a study suggested Tuesday, may be much simpler: Giving makes us happy.

<snip>

https://www.seeker.com/health/mind/happiness-from-being-generous-has-a-neural-basis-within-the-brain

Being stingy doesn't make me happy, but giving does, so I have to agree with the premise of this article. How about you? 

Dr. Evil    1,651
1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

In a study on the psychology of giving, MRI scans revealed that an area of the brain linked to generosity triggered a response in another part related to happiness.

What inspires humans to display acts of generosity? Economists, psychologists and philosophers have pondered this question for millennia. If one assumes that human behavior is primarily motivated by self-interest, it seems illogical to willingly sacrifice resources for others.

In an attempt to solve this paradox, some experts have theorized that giving satisfies a desire to boost one's standing in a group. Others have suggested it fosters tribal cooperation and cohesion — a key element in mammal survival. Yet another explanation is that we give only because we expect to receive something in return.

The real answer, a study suggested Tuesday, may be much simpler: Giving makes us happy.

<snip>

https://www.seeker.com/health/mind/happiness-from-being-generous-has-a-neural-basis-within-the-brain

Being stingy doesn't make me happy, but giving does, so I have to agree with the premise of this article. How about you? 

It'd be interesting wouldn't it to put force the 1%ers into an MRI to see what happens to their brains, vs the rest of us.

One assumes the MSM would become quite hytserical over the whole thing.

For some reason.

Ukshep    20,050
6 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Others have suggested it fosters tribal cooperation and cohesion

I have to go with this answer... Their results don't hold up to reality.

coco    475

Happiness!  It makes me happy to make someone else's life a little bit better.  On the other hand the desire to boost my own happiness could be considered a purely selfish motive, could it not?