Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Colorado Moves To Criminalize Screen Time For Kids, Parents To Face $20K Fine For Violation

Cinnamon    22,922

Should Colorado legislators get their way, smartphones and other electronic devices capable of connecting to the Internet would be verboten for kids under the age of 13 — and parents could face up to $20,000 in fines for violating the proposed law.

Intended “to make children free,” Initiative 29 is the brainchild of Parents Against Underage Smartphones (PAUS), a group of concerned parents whose mission statement includes ending “the insane practice of giving children smartphones”; but — while the spirit of the proposed law might be considered a laudable attempt to reconnect kids with nature — in actuality, its Nanny State overtones trump the unabashed appeal to emotion.

<snip>

http://www.activistpost.com/2017/07/state-moves-criminalize-screen-time-kids-parents-face-20k-fine-violation.html

How are they going to enforce this one if it passes? And what is your opinion on the Nanny State vs. what the internet does to kids? 

JayDee    1,288

The nanny state can go eat a spoon full of sugar and float away over the edge of flat earth.    

JustATrucker    572

How can they tell who is on the phone, or computer? Hell my grandson uses my wife's phone and he is only 6. And sometimes he uses his mothers. His Xbox right now he is under my username.. Good luck with that stupid fukking law..

Cinnamon    22,922

If they were really that worried, why don't they ban tv for kids, too? 

Siddrix    1,022

It's a stupid law cause kids are gonna find a way to get'em. Even if its a dispose-a-phone...

Poor kids nowadays don't even have awesome toy's like we did...

Eagles fan    242
7 minutes ago, JustATrucker said:

How can they tell who is on the phone, or computer? Hell my grandson uses my wife's phone and he is only 6. And sometimes he uses his mothers. His Xbox right now he is under my username.. Good luck with that stupid fukking law..

Speaking as a 5th generation Coloradoan I am ashamed of our state government, starting with Governor Hickenlooper. The insanity has spread to my dear state :(

Cinnamon    22,922
Just now, Eagles fan said:

Speaking as a 5th generation Coloradoan I am ashamed of our state government, starting with Governor Hickenlooper. The insanity has spread to my dear state :(

Nothing can match the idiocy of California, so you are in good company.  :hug:

YourMom2    1,354

I don't think young children should be using mobile phones (only tested on adult males with developed skulls, not children) but the state shouldn't be dictating what is age appropriate....that is supposed to be the domain of the PARENTS.

Kinda like the law where it's illegal to text while driving which is necessary because people think they can avert their attention off the road and still be a safe driver. Yeah, right. If we had smarter people there wouldn't be such need for these laws that keep piling up for the perpetually stupid or people that can't be bothered to research the safety of electronics and know what the risks are.

Cryptic Mole    4,382
13 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

If they were really that worried, why don't they ban tv for kids, too? 

There ya go! ^^^ This^^^

CGK    2,624

I sorta like this but a 20 grand fine is a bit ridiculous.

Smartphones are killing our kids and probably need to be regulated just like tobacco and alcohol. Those phones are destroying their eyesight and radiating them while creating little technology addicts.

Kids don't go outside any more. They don't run, play, throw water balloons, stick fight,or stomp in puddles. They don't use their brains either. If they have a question they google it on their phones. Check a book for an answer or ask another human? NEVER in our smartphone world.

Babies don't even have those cute little mobiles spinning over their baby beds anymore. Now parents stick a ipad above their cribs so the infant can watch digital fish or some other crap.

I think it might be time to regulate cell phone use for children. The internet can be an ugly place with cyber bullies etc. and young kids don't have the skills to deal with all the crap that is thrown at them in the virtual world.

I am not a fan of big brother telling me what to do, especially when it comes to my kids but in today's world many parents neglect their parental duties and simply shove a phone in their kids hands to keep them entertained.

Colorado might be onto something.