Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Homemade organic raw apple cider vinegar

Like smoothies, lemonades and few pantry staples, turns out the best apple cider vinegar is homemade! This amber liquid gold is so tasty that every now and then I find myself having a tablespoon of it, on its own. Yeah, a tablespoon of vinegar, go figure.

I can’t say that I was not happy with my previous ACV. It was raw, unfiltered and quite tasty, in a mouth puckering sort of way. Available just across the street and at a relatively affordable price. You’d think I can’t ask more from a vinegar. Yet here I am telling you that there is BETTER. Much much better. And if you were using a refined, distilled, heated, filtered apple cider vinegar, brace yourself for some pretty amazing new flavours!

Best news that comes with this recipe? Kitchen skills play absolutely no part. It’s a fool proof waiting game that anyone can play.

Prep time: 5 mins

Total time: 2-3 months

Ingredients

3 small apples (core and peel included, no stem)

3 tsp raw sugar (I used muscavado)

filtered water to cover

Instructions

Wash and chop your apples into medium sized pieces (or use the peels and cores of 6-7 small apples after making a pie). Place them in a clean, rinsed and sterilized wide mouth jar.

Mix the sugar with 1 cup of water and pour on top of the apples.

Add more water if needed to cover the apples.

Cover the jar with a paper towel or a cheesecloth and secure it with a band. This keeps nasties away while letting the liquid breathe.

Place the jar in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks – I just kept it in my pantry.

Strain out the liquid and discard the apple pieces.

Return the liquid to the same jar and cover it again (same paper or cheesecloth).

Return the jar to the same warm, dark place and leave it do its thing for roughly 4 to 6 weeks, stirring with a plastic or wooden spoon every few days or so. I’ll be honest with you, I wasn’t that organised with my stirring (oftentimes forgot), but my vinegar still loved me.

After the first 4 weeks, you can begin to also taste your vinegar and once it reaches an acidity you like, you can actually transfer it to a bottle with a lid and begin using it.

<snip>

http://talesofakitchen.com/raw/homemade-organic-raw-apple-cider-vinegar/

More info and pictures at link. Why buy it? lol  It used to be super cheap until it got more popular (like virgin coconut oil has gone way up), now not so cheap anymore. You can even use cores and scraps from your apples to make it, which makes it even cheaper. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Like smoothies, lemonades and few pantry staples, turns out the best apple cider vinegar is homemade! This amber liquid gold is so tasty that every now and then I find myself having a tablespoon of it, on its own. Yeah, a tablespoon of vinegar, go figure.

I can’t say that I was not happy with my previous ACV. It was raw, unfiltered and quite tasty, in a mouth puckering sort of way. Available just across the street and at a relatively affordable price. You’d think I can’t ask more from a vinegar. Yet here I am telling you that there is BETTER. Much much better. And if you were using a refined, distilled, heated, filtered apple cider vinegar, brace yourself for some pretty amazing new flavours!

Best news that comes with this recipe? Kitchen skills play absolutely no part. It’s a fool proof waiting game that anyone can play.

Prep time: 5 mins

Total time: 2-3 months

Ingredients

3 small apples (core and peel included, no stem)

3 tsp raw sugar (I used muscavado)

filtered water to cover

Instructions

Wash and chop your apples into medium sized pieces (or use the peels and cores of 6-7 small apples after making a pie). Place them in a clean, rinsed and sterilized wide mouth jar.

Mix the sugar with 1 cup of water and pour on top of the apples.

Add more water if needed to cover the apples.

Cover the jar with a paper towel or a cheesecloth and secure it with a band. This keeps nasties away while letting the liquid breathe.

Place the jar in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks – I just kept it in my pantry.

Strain out the liquid and discard the apple pieces.

Return the liquid to the same jar and cover it again (same paper or cheesecloth).

Return the jar to the same warm, dark place and leave it do its thing for roughly 4 to 6 weeks, stirring with a plastic or wooden spoon every few days or so. I’ll be honest with you, I wasn’t that organised with my stirring (oftentimes forgot), but my vinegar still loved me.

After the first 4 weeks, you can begin to also taste your vinegar and once it reaches an acidity you like, you can actually transfer it to a bottle with a lid and begin using it.

<snip>

http://talesofakitchen.com/raw/homemade-organic-raw-apple-cider-vinegar/

More info and pictures at link. Why buy it? lol  It used to be super cheap until it got more popular (like virgin coconut oil has gone way up), now not so cheap anymore. You can even use cores and scraps from your apples to make it, which makes it even cheaper. 

GREAT POST,

My wife has been making ours for a long time much better and very cheap to make!!  will keep you healthy if you drink some everyday!!:D

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 2:19 PM, apache54 said:

GREAT POST,

My wife has been making ours for a long time much better and very cheap to make!!  will keep you healthy if you drink some everyday!!:D

How is the taste compared to the store brands? I use Braggs.  And how long do you leave it when you are supposed to stir it once a day. She's talking 6 weeks, can you use it sooner? 

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

How is the taste compared to the store brands? I use Braggs.  And how long do you leave it when you are supposed to stir it once a day. She's talking 6 weeks, can you use it sooner? 

The flavor will vary IF you use a variety of types of apples, none is bad! and IF you make small batches you can figure out the best flavor for you. allot depends on the temp you are exposing the batch to, you stir it everyday UNTIL the apples start to fall to the bottom, that is when you remove all the apples and then the juice is left to ferment into vinegar and that will take about 5 to 6 weeks, and do not stir after the apples are removed, it will make a little faster if you put some mother in as a starter. hope this helps and glad your trying it!! you'll be glad you did!

1 minute ago, apache54 said:

The flavor will vary IF you use a variety of types of apples, none is bad! and IF you make small batches you can figure out the best flavor for you. allot depends on the temp you are exposing the batch to, you stir it everyday UNTIL the apples start to fall to the bottom, that is when you remove all the apples and then the juice is left to ferment into vinegar and that will take about 5 to 6 weeks, and do not stir after the apples are removed, it will make a little faster if you put some mother in as a starter. hope this helps and glad your trying it!! you'll be glad you did!

Thanks for that info! Sounds like the recipe is good from the article. Glad you know how! 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

Thanks for that info! Sounds like the recipe is good from the article. Glad you know how! 

Glad to assist!

any questions feel free to ask, I DAMN sure don't know it all, BUT what LITTLE i do i will share!! LOL:nodl:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.