Advertise With Us!
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ukshep

'OMG' - Child portion fish & chips coming your way due climate change!

Rate this topic

Ukshep    14,312

Last December British Fish and Chips was going to become Squid and Chips thanks to Climate Change. This year, cod will become anchovies. Battered anchovie anyone?   British Fish and chips have been dying for a decade.

Now, apparently, fish are shrinking, thanks to falling oxygen levels in the seas:

By 2050, the size of fish could shrink by 10 – 20 per cent, Dr William Cheung, a marine ecologist at the University of British Columbia, Canada, forecast.

Dr Cheung, who gave a keynote address at the 50th Anniversary Symposium of the Fisheries Society of the British Isles at Exeter University this week, said some fish in the North Sea, including haddock, were already getting smaller.

Some might say the shrinking Haddock might have more to do with over-fishing.

He predicted the trend would continue with common species such as cod shrinking by up to a fifth within our lifetime.

Get ready for “child’s portions” of fish and chips. No really, that’s the headline, not the punchline.

http://joannenova.com.au/2017/07/climate-change-will-shrink-your-fish-and-chips/

I don't eat fish :D not since it's most likely irradiated to shit!

Lucy Barnable    2,966

Not good...

About 1 billion people largely in developing countries rely on fish as their primary animal protein source. In 2010, fish provided more than 2.9 billion people with almost 20% of their intake of animal protein, and 4.3 billion people with about 15 % of such protein.”

http://smallplanet.org/content/one-billion-people-depend-seafood-their-primary-protein-source

• Like 1

Cinnamon    16,026
12 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Last December British Fish and Chips was going to become Squid and Chips thanks to Climate Change. This year, cod will become anchovies. Battered anchovie anyone?   British Fish and chips have been dying for a decade.

Now, apparently, fish are shrinking, thanks to falling oxygen levels in the seas:

By 2050, the size of fish could shrink by 10 – 20 per cent, Dr William Cheung, a marine ecologist at the University of British Columbia, Canada, forecast.

Dr Cheung, who gave a keynote address at the 50th Anniversary Symposium of the Fisheries Society of the British Isles at Exeter University this week, said some fish in the North Sea, including haddock, were already getting smaller.

Some might say the shrinking Haddock might have more to do with over-fishing.

He predicted the trend would continue with common species such as cod shrinking by up to a fifth within our lifetime.

Get ready for “child’s portions” of fish and chips. No really, that’s the headline, not the punchline.

http://joannenova.com.au/2017/07/climate-change-will-shrink-your-fish-and-chips/

I don't eat fish :D not since it's most likely irradiated to shit!

If that's true, then maybe those vids about GIANT forests are true, too. 

Ukshep    14,312
10 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

If that's true, then maybe those vids about GIANT forests are true, too. 

Oh I think those stories are indeed true cin!

Cinnamon    16,026
3 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Oh I think those stories are indeed true cin!

Btw, I don't eat fish either. lol  I'm sure fish is pretty much garbage food by now.

• Like 1

Cinnamon    16,026
6 minutes ago, Asymptote said:

Love fish and chips...

havent had had it much since Fukushima 

Fuku turned a lot of people off from seafood.  

coco    311

I'm fortunate here to have clean fish (for the time being).  Can't say I've noticed any shrinkage (yet).  It's a main source of protein for most of us.  Would hate to have to go back to moose hunting.

• Like 1

five    313

Umm, could this be due to rampant overfishing? Maybe the fish don't have time to grow before being pulled from the water? 

I've heard it said that it would take a 50 year cessation of fishing before wildlife even had a chance to replenish. I'd imagine that is an exaggeration, but still, if you can over hunt a finite are that you can overfish a finite area, no matter how large that area may appear to be. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

Cinnamon    16,026
54 minutes ago, five said:

Umm, could this be due to rampant overfishing? Maybe the fish don't have time to grow before being pulled from the water? 

I've heard it said that it would take a 50 year cessation of fishing before wildlife even had a chance to replenish. I'd imagine that is an exaggeration, but still, if you can over hunt a finite are that you can overfish a finite area, no matter how large that area may appear to be. Just a thought. 

This should be easy to figure out with fish farms? Of course, that's mostly Tilapia and other freshwater fish... so maybe not so much. 

Siddrix    692

I don't eat those frozen fish sticks mainly due to fukushima exposure.

I will stick with fresh water fish like perch, crappie and sand bass...

• Like 1

Ukshep    14,312
7 hours ago, five said:

Most likely. The shores of the UK were full of EU trawling boats last time I checked there was only a few mackerel left. Ain't fished out at sea in 7 years. It's been a little while.

I remember the days when every time I put my line out I'd get one fish after another and another and another. :D 

To the displeasure of everyone else.

• Like 2