Brio

Getting hot here State of Emergency Declared B.C. UPDATED

South central BC is lighting up and there's about 8 wild fires burning around us in ~ a 50 mile radius. They've jumped the river to the Chilcotin. B.C. has 17 million Ha of dead standing pine and if that lights up, it's nuclear winter for the planet for a year or two. Think Krakatoa.  Not saying it'll happen but so many big fires, tinder dry conditions and high winds, not sure the BCFS can stop it. I tried to report one just NW of me but the FS has shut off the phones.

Preparedness should be a way of life not a disaster plan. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Brio said:

South central BC is lighting up and there's about 8 wild fires burning around us in ~ a 50 mile radius. They've jumped the river to the Chilcotin. B.C. has 17 million Ha of dead standing pine and if that lights up, it's nuclear winter for the planet for a year or two. Think Krakatoa.  Not saying it'll happen but so many big fires, tinder dry conditions and high winds, not sure the BCFS can stop it. I tried to report one just NW of me but the FS has shut off the phones.

FS has probably shut off power to the cell sites.  I'm thinking it would be a precaution in case the fires burn some of the power poles.

Thanks for the info and stay safe... 

• Like 1

116 F  and 46.67 Celsius  in the shade. 

26 minutes ago, Brio said:

Stay safe @Brio  :heart:

• Like 1

Just heard we're under evac alert, there's fires all around us, no matter which way the wind blows they're coming at us. All happened in one day. Unreal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brio said:

Just heard we're under evac alert, there's fires all around us, no matter which way the wind blows they're coming at us. All happened in one day. Unreal.

Maybe you should get out of there for a few days? Can you? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Permafrost melting? 

Nah, you have to go farther north for permafrost. But if you search "newsminer", the newspaper runs their "Arctic Cam" 24/7. Cool views during the winter.

Sounds like Canada suffers the same problems as the lower 48. Nobody has the time or budget to clean up the floors of pine tree forests. Pine needles and cones make awesome fire-starters.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.