Sign in to follow this  
Ukshep

You no longer have to register your drones...US court of appeals

Over the past couple of years, the popularity of unmanned aerial system (UAS) has increased, resulting in an explosion of amazing footage. With the introduction of more affordable models like the DJI Spark, there is the possibility that the trend may well continue to grow. While it was previously required for those piloting a UAS to register with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for a small fee, that decision has now been reversed.

The reason for this change is that the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia invalidated the registration process imposed by the FAA in 2015, stating that those who are not using their UAS for commercial purposes would not need to register. Anyone who registered, paid the $5 fee, and purely flying for fun will be entitled to a refund.

https://www.neowin.net/news/after-two-years-the-faa-is-now-issuing-refunds-to-some-that-registered-their-uas

Is it just me.... Or does this open up drones to use by terrorists..... IF SO ERM NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO CHANGE THIS! or is that the point?

6 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Over the past couple of years, the popularity of unmanned aerial system (UAS) has increased, resulting in an explosion of amazing footage. With the introduction of more affordable models like the DJI Spark, there is the possibility that the trend may well continue to grow. While it was previously required for those piloting a UAS to register with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for a small fee, that decision has now been reversed.

The reason for this change is that the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia invalidated the registration process imposed by the FAA in 2015, stating that those who are not using their UAS for commercial purposes would not need to register. Anyone who registered, paid the $5 fee, and purely flying for fun will be entitled to a refund.

https://www.neowin.net/news/after-two-years-the-faa-is-now-issuing-refunds-to-some-that-registered-their-uas

Is it just me.... Or does this open up drones to use by terrorists..... IF SO ERM NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO CHANGE THIS! or is that the point?

Registered or not, they would still use them.

This is good imo.  Quick making us have to register everything.  Next on the list would be fidget spinners. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LuckyBolt said:

This is good imo.  Quick making us have to register everything.  Next on the list would be fidget spinners. 

Only those mainstream people would have to register a fidget spinner :D

27 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Anyone who registered, paid the $5 fee, and purely flying for fun will be entitled to a refund.

All the Mohammed's will get a refund. 

41 minutes ago, LuckyBolt said:

Fidget spinners give me the willies. I don't know if it's because I am generally paranoid but when i walk past an Isle of them in the store it sends a shiver down my spine!

51 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Terrorists wouldn't register a drone anyway, the same thing goes for guns. The only thing this did was make it harder for law abiding citizens to fly a drone and to line the pockets of some ass hole politicians. So i think overall it's a good thing. I don't expect we're going to see an overall increase in traffic anyway considering how cheap the license was, to begin with.

Bit off topic: I would love to get some sort of long range drone to fly over Antarctica :p

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ukshep said:

LOL!! Now why am I seeing a terrorist drone loaded with nerf missiles Shep???

Seriously though. I haven't clicked the link yet. But did they do away with the 55# limitation?

Thank goodness. I'm building a racing drone now and really didn't want to go thru the hassle just because of the weight of it. It's bs. Even having to get a ham license just to do the video transmissions is pain enough. 

Edited by Groove

Interesting wording they used. Extrapolate this to driving. Are you you engaging in commerce? No? Then why register your automobile? More evidence for me that there are no courts of law just courts of equity.

5 hours ago, JustATrucker said:

My brother has a crap load of drones, and I bet he never paid any fee.. He like to run like that.LOL

Not like he cares then but this news is good for him :D

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.