Cindyrendy

Would You Accept a Pig’s Heart One Day?

Imagine: your heart is failing to work, and a replacement is deadly in need. Consistently, your family waits anxiously for a call from the hospital for the found of donor. At that point, one day, the call comes. In your fervor you scarcely hear what the doctor on the flip side of the line is letting you know. There’s something you ought to know, she says. The contributor is not human. It’s a pig.

Actually, it’s not a fantasy. In 2014, scientists announced that a pig’s heart had survived for more than one year after it was transplanted into a baboon, being a proof for the assumption above. This project, headed by Muhammad Mohuiddin from the US National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, supports the majority’s view that animal organs can provide help for those struggling to wait for organ transplants.

While, such surgery would arise kinds of thorny issues about how we will define “a fully human” in the future? If we can accept pig’s heart, then what other parts could be utilized to strengthen human health? Will the transplant of nonhuman organs change our relationship with animals or even each other?

Nowadays, however, primates are no longer considered to be viable donors, because of issues such as diseases transmission risk and the ethical considerations of primate research. Moreover, human body may probably reject the foreigners. “Immunological rejection, is the major obstruction to xenotransplantation.” said Mohuiddin. Pigs, on the other hand, have been proven to be better donors, at least it works in baboons. A pig’s heart is anatomically similar to a human’s, and it posses less disease risk and the animals grow fast, making them an ideal substitute.

Scientists, for the first time, successfully produced human-pig synthetic organisms. Pig embryos injected into human stem cells cultivated human heart, liver and even nerve cell tissue, being considered a major step forward for xenotransplantation. But the embryos were destroyed four weeks later for moral controversy.

Source: https://goo.gl/tpB9y8

Edited by Cinnamon
50 percent rule for copied content
  • Like 1

I will have to die if I need another organ. I am not taking anyone's organs or a pig's organ into my body. I have heard stories and I believe them, where the organ receiver takes on some of the personality traits and likes of the donor. I am not picking up any pig habits or someone else's but my own. I will just die. It's nature's way after all. We all die. ;) 

• Like 2

I hope when it's time for me to die, I do it in my sleep. I don't want a pig's heart, the thought of having my chest bones pulled apart... just no! 

1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

I hope when it's time for me to die, I do it in my sleep. I don't want a pig's heart, the thought of having my chest bones pulled apart... just no! 

AGREED,

NO nursing homes either! at home and die peacefully in my own bed !!

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.