thedudeabides

In regards to the current political discourse within our nation.

As I see it we stand broken as a people.  Our citizens are now fighting one another in streets.  All in protest of the very system that gives them the right to protest in the first place. Over the past few days we as a nation celebrated our Independence.  An independence that was fought and paid for with the blood of patriots both male and female. 

One of our nations greatest men had this to say about the future and where we are today.

“However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.” 
― George Washington

This is where we have arrived my fellow Americans. We have reached a point in our nations history where we need to unite once again.  As one people, under one flag, and one president. 

Many powers are at work to divide us as a people.  All seeking to drive strife and violence to a boiling point that which cannot be stopped. If we, individuals, do not stand up and say ENOUGH! This nation will not remain the same.  

We in the center and the right have had our victory.  We have elected Donald Trump as our President.  Now it falls on each of us to bring into the fold our counterparts.  We must better explain to our political rivals what our political goals are. What we wish to do for this nation and its people.  We must win the war of ideals that is on for the hearts and souls of the American people.  

We as a people face a hard job ahead. We have allowed our nation to be taken over by the very men and women George Washington warned us about.  Not just on the left but the right also.  They are each and everyone of them self serving and faithless in there defense of the Constitution of the United States of America.  With that I close with this quote. 

“America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.”
----President Harry S. Truman

So my fellow Americans. Let us all step forth and get to work!

6 minutes ago, periclymenoides said:

For the bank!  HIP HIP HOORAY

As one people, under one flag, and one president and one private central bank 

YUP!!

first job, clean out the corruption in our politics and stop the fed reserve! and then jail all the banksters. that would be a good start!! LOL

This idea of "one flag" is historically against the true intentions of this (former) republic. There was a time when the federal flag was only seen on federal buildings like post offices. Other than that, you only saw the state flag. Also, there is a peacetime flag which was only used briefly, as most of our history we've been at war; and since the war powers act (1917 I believe), the feds have been at war with us, the People.

4 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

This nation will not remain the same.  

It hasn't been "the same" in our lifetime. We'd have to roll things back to President Buchanan to get close to reclaiming the republic.   

We don't really seem to have "discourse" anymore.

Competing monologues don't create a dialog.  And taking turns talking doesn't mean we're communicating.

Compromise, finding common ground, has been replaced by a refusal to "move" a position once taken; and demonizing "them" has become a substitute for progress.

That and the continued fractionalizing of our population which creates group vs. group vs. group.

Sadly, I suspect it'll take some significant event that transcends the petty day-to-day crap to create even the possibility that we can unite.

It also doesn't push much to change when posting to a forum where most of us are largely in agreement. We vent to each other and reaffirm how screwed up things are. Personally, the energy to "go out there and do something" is gone. Best just to do what you can to survive. 

The few ultra-liberals I know don't even agree with each other on much let alone conservatives.
The main thing they want is Trump out but they can't say what next except they don't want Pence.
I would start by disallowing dual citizens from holding office but some conservatives would object.

What we need to remember is that we all have one thing in common:
All of our ancestors wanted to be here with the possible exception of some Irish.
There's no disagreeing with that. They had a vision and fought for it and here we are because of them.

Edited by Lucy Barnable
typo

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.