Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Central Americans, ‘Scared of What’s Happening’ in U.S., Stay Put

Good! Stay home and stop invading my country! NYT... you are not twanging my heartstrings with that picture you stuck to that story. LOL They even lament the coyotes losing business and bus traffic is slow. You really need to read this entire thing to see the audacious nature of these POSs that run the NYT. 

CHOLOMA, Honduras — His bags were packed, and the smuggler was ready. If all went well, Eswin Josué Fuentes figured he and his 10-year-old daughter would slip into the United States within days.

Then, the night before he planned to leave, he had a phone conversation with a Honduran friend living illegally in New York. Under President Trump, the friend warned, the United States was no longer a place for undocumented migrants.

Shaken, Mr. Fuentes abruptly ditched his plans in May and decided to stay here in Honduras, despite its unrelenting violence and poverty. He even passed up the $12,000 in smuggler fees that his sister in the United States had lined up for the journey.

“I got scared of what’s happening there,” Mr. Fuentes said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/world/americas/honduras-migration-border-wall.html

• Like 2

Too late......

WTF IS GOING ON IN CALIFORNIA? THIS IS WHY AMERICA ELECTED DONALD TRUMP. PART 1

WTF IS GOING ON IN CALIFORNIA? THIS IS WHY AMERICA ELECTED DONALD TRUMP. PART 2

2 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Good! Stay home and stop invading my country! NYT... you are not twanging my heartstrings with that picture you stuck to that story. LOL They even lament the coyotes losing business and bus traffic is slow. You really need to read this entire thing to see the audacious nature of these POSs that run the NYT. 

CHOLOMA, Honduras — His bags were packed, and the smuggler was ready. If all went well, Eswin Josué Fuentes figured he and his 10-year-old daughter would slip into the United States within days.

Then, the night before he planned to leave, he had a phone conversation with a Honduran friend living illegally in New York. Under President Trump, the friend warned, the United States was no longer a place for undocumented migrants.

Shaken, Mr. Fuentes abruptly ditched his plans in May and decided to stay here in Honduras, despite its unrelenting violence and poverty. He even passed up the $12,000 in smuggler fees that his sister in the United States had lined up for the journey.

“I got scared of what’s happening there,” Mr. Fuentes said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/03/world/americas/honduras-migration-border-wall.html

I would think $12,000 would go pretty far in Honduras.  Why not take that money, build up a business instead of wasting it on a coyote to get into a country that DOESN'T WANT YOU.  I think they come here because they figure the welfare benefits must amount to more over time than the coyote payments.  As for violence, if the people of Honduras and others don't stay put and fix it, who will?  I'm sure most of them can't afford $12k to come to the US.

6 minutes ago, Mehitable said:

I would think $12,000 would go pretty far in Honduras.  Why not take that money, build up a business instead of wasting it on a coyote to get into a country that DOESN'T WANT YOU.  I think they come here because they figure the welfare benefits must amount to more over time than the coyote payments.  As for violence, if the people of Honduras and others don't stay put and fix it, who will?  I'm sure most of them can't afford $12k to come to the US.

As poor as those countries are you have to wonder where they get the cash, but I do know that there are people with money that give them loans at very high interest rates. Once they get here and get a job or are on welfare, etc. they have to pay that back. They do it in every country. It's a business. 

12 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

As poor as those countries are you have to wonder where they get the cash, but I do know that there are people with money that give them loans at very high interest rates. Once they get here and get a job or are on welfare, etc. they have to pay that back. They do it in every country. It's a business. 

I think what happened in this case, Cinnamon, and probably others, is that relatives already here in the US save the money and send it to them.  Which would be fine as long as THOSE relatives were legal (which they usually aren't). I think a better use for that kind of money than to just give it to a coyote would be to build up a business in THAT country.  But these folks don't think like that, they're not entrepreneurs, which is another reason we shouldn't want them here.  One way or another, they end up on some form of welfare and welfare was meant to take care of OUR OWN when we were sick of out of work, not to be applied to foreigners or generational layabouts.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mehitable said:

I think what happened in this case, Cinnamon, and probably others, is that relatives already here in the US save the money and send it to them.  Which would be fine as long as THOSE relatives were legal (which they usually aren't). I think a better use for that kind of money than to just give it to a coyote would be to build up a business in THAT country.  But these folks don't think like that, they're not entrepreneurs, which is another reason we shouldn't want them here.  One way or another, they end up on some form of welfare and welfare was meant to take care of OUR OWN when we were sick of out of work, not to be applied to foreigners or generational layabouts.

Very true.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.