Jump to content
Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NowServingNumber52

Eating only low-carb foods can have similar effect on brain as ECSTASY

Recommended Posts

That's why they can't stop talking about their diet! Eating only low-carb foods can have similar effect on brain as ECSTASY

Some people on very low-carb diets say they feel euphoric, have clear minds and lose their appetite.

Going low-carb might even mimic the effects of GHB – the recreational drug better known as fantasy, liquid ecstasy or grievous bodily harm – on the brain.

To understand why we need to look at how the body processes a very low-carb diet, one that typically limits carbohydrates to no more than 50 grams a day.  

 

A very low-carb diet flips your metabolic switch from burning more carbs than fat, to more fat than carbs. This usually takes a few days in a process known as ketosis.

During this time, your body thinks it's starving. Once it uses up most of your glucose (carb) reserves, the body stimulates the breakdown of stored fat into fatty acids and releases them into the blood.

When fatty acids reach the liver they're converted into acetoacetate, an excellent metabolic fuel that belongs to a family of chemicals called ketones. That's why very low-carb diets are sometimes called 'ketogenic' diets.

Acetoacetate decomposes to carbon dioxide and acetone, the smelly solvent best known for its ability to remove nail polish. This is why very low-carb dieters and people who are fasting often have sweet smelling breath.

A healthy liver minimises the acetone lost via the lungs by converting most of the acetoacetate it produces to a more stable substance, called beta-hydroxybutyrate or BHB. And this is where those euphoric feelings could come from.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4629660/Low-carb-diet-similar-effect-brain-ecstasy.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    22,782

This thread has been moved to the News & Current Events Forum!

For more information on why? Check out our page on what topics go where! As part of our quality control measures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    22,782

I've eaten very low carb before and I never got high. I always get cheated. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 LuckyBolt    1,282

I'm going through ketosis now.  The headaches suck at first, but once you get passed it, the brain clears up and you feel great.  Damn those delicious carbs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    22,782
1 minute ago, LuckyBolt said:

I'm going through ketosis now.  The headaches suck at first, but once you get passed it, the brain clears up and you feel great.  Damn those delicious carbs.  

You won't be interested to know that I just ate a whole wheat tortilla fried in coconut oil with some honey and cinnamon on it.. lol   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Groove    1,914
9 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

You won't be interested to know that I just ate a whole wheat tortilla fried in coconut oil with some honey and cinnamon on it.. lol   

I just had fried chicken :D

ive always wondered why some of those people are always saying crazy crap like that. But personally I hate "diets" I just try to watch what I eat. Usually watch it go straight from the plate to my mouth. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    22,782
2 minutes ago, Groove said:

I just had fried chicken :D

ive always wondered why some of those people are always saying crazy crap like that. But personally I hate "diets" I just try to watch what I eat. Usually watch it go straight from the plate to my mouth. Lol. 

I'm doing double time on the treadmill tonight. My sister caught me eating a donut and said, why don't you just stick it to your thighs. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Curenado    941

The decade I spent on the preserve was pretty much starvation, and I was the one in the best shape and health, but far from the strongest. (Ah!)

I was at a holler meeting of old heifers & bikers and they got on a "i cant eat anything i swear!" go around and I said "i eat but it don't stick to me" and one of 'em said "Pffft! Yeah, but all you eat is sticks and leaves!" - then the whole thing went silent for a second and everybody laughed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Groove    1,914
22 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I'm doing double time on the treadmill tonight. My sister caught me eating a donut and said, why don't you just stick it to your thighs. lol

lol that sucks. I haven't had an issue with my metabolism in a while. But I know that day is coming. I used to be a fat kid then lost it all and buffed up after high school then  got married had kids and gained 40 lbs back. Since I've gotten divorced moved to Miami lost it all and buffed back up. Now that I've been back in Louisiana the past 4 years I lost the buffness gained a few lbs then lost the few lbs but haven't gained much of the muscle back. So I look smaller than I actually am. Just wish I could keep my diet steady but I love my sweets. If it wasn't for them I'd be healthier than I am and at 35 I know I need to start watching it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Groove said:

lol that sucks. I haven't had an issue with my metabolism in a while. But I know that day is coming. I used to be a fat kid then lost it all and buffed up after high school then  got married had kids and gained 40 lbs back. Since I've gotten divorced moved to Miami lost it all and buffed back up. Now that I've been back in Louisiana the past 4 years I lost the buffness gained a few lbs then lost the few lbs but haven't gained much of the muscle back. So I look smaller than I actually am. Just wish I could keep my diet steady but I love my sweets. If it wasn't for them I'd be healthier than I am and at 35 I know I need to start watching it. 

Creatine Monohydrate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Creatine is the most studied and the most popular supplement in the market. It plays a key role in energy production (through ATP synthesis) and can contribute to gaining muscle (*1). We offer a full range of high-quality creatine powders to help you with your workouts. 

 

What is creatine?

Creatine is a naturally occurring amino acid found in muscle cells. It is produced by the body in the kidneys and the pancreas from the amino acids glycine, arginine and methionine. Creatine is necessary for synthesizing ATP (the energy molecule found in all living cells) and keeping the body exercising for longer (*2).

What are the benefits of creatine?

Scientific studies have shown that creatine can improve athlete's performance in activities that require quick bursts of energy, such as weight training (*3) and sprints (*4), and can even help athletes recover more quickly between sets and workouts (*5).

Among other benefits, creatine improves both aerobic (*6) and anaerobic capacity (*7), delays the onset of muscle fatigue (*8), accelerates recovery (*9) and increases mental skills (*10). Although creatine can be taken by any person who exercises regularly, it is better suited to bodybuilders as the supplement promotes muscle protein synthesis thus helping to increase muscle mass (*11).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 Cinnamon    22,782
9 minutes ago, Groove said:

lol that sucks. I haven't had an issue with my metabolism in a while. But I know that day is coming. I used to be a fat kid then lost it all and buffed up after high school then  got married had kids and gained 40 lbs back. Since I've gotten divorced moved to Miami lost it all and buffed back up. Now that I've been back in Louisiana the past 4 years I lost the buffness gained a few lbs then lost the few lbs but haven't gained much of the muscle back. So I look smaller than I actually am. Just wish I could keep my diet steady but I love my sweets. If it wasn't for them I'd be healthier than I am and at 35 I know I need to start watching it. 

I really have to watch the carbs, they've always made me gain weight fast. Fruit and veggie carbs don't but breads, crackers and starchy things do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×