Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Yellowstone earthquake swarm slowing, but ongoing — nearly 770 quakes so far

Cinnamon    22,782

Almost 770 earthquakes have been recorded in Yellowstone Park over the past two weeks — more than normal but not a sign of volcanic activity, scientists say.

As of 11:30 Friday morning, 769 quakes had been recorded in the current swarm, said Jamie Farrell, a research professor of seismology at the University of Utah.

The swarm, which began June 12, is ongoing, he added, though the frequency of earthquakes has slowed down a bit. Typical swarms comprise 10 to 50 quakes, Farrell said.

“As of now, everything that we can see looks like these are tectonic in origin,” he said. “There’s no volcanic signature to any of these events that we’ve found.”

The university’s seismograph stations have tracked a single quake in the magnitude 4 range, a temblor near West Yellowstone on June 15 that has been the largest of the swarm to date.

<snip>

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/yellowstone_national_park/yellowstone-earthquake-swarm-slowing-but-ongoing-nearly-quakes-so-far/article_4eafc03e-58b6-599e-847c-a4c6f2c87d2e.html

I hope this thing never kicks off!  Total devastation. 

apache54    4,822
16 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Almost 770 earthquakes have been recorded in Yellowstone Park over the past two weeks — more than normal but not a sign of volcanic activity, scientists say.

As of 11:30 Friday morning, 769 quakes had been recorded in the current swarm, said Jamie Farrell, a research professor of seismology at the University of Utah.

The swarm, which began June 12, is ongoing, he added, though the frequency of earthquakes has slowed down a bit. Typical swarms comprise 10 to 50 quakes, Farrell said.

“As of now, everything that we can see looks like these are tectonic in origin,” he said. “There’s no volcanic signature to any of these events that we’ve found.”

The university’s seismograph stations have tracked a single quake in the magnitude 4 range, a temblor near West Yellowstone on June 15 that has been the largest of the swarm to date.

<snip>

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/yellowstone_national_park/yellowstone-earthquake-swarm-slowing-but-ongoing-nearly-quakes-so-far/article_4eafc03e-58b6-599e-847c-a4c6f2c87d2e.html

I hope this thing never kicks off!  Total devastation. 

also have to see what the rise of the caldera is compared to a few weeks or month ago! when it starts to swell is another sign a eruption is close, and I know last week it had risen some, they tend to leave out that part of the equation!!

Cinnamon    22,782
3 minutes ago, apache54 said:

also have to see what the rise of the caldera is compared to a few weeks or month ago! when it starts to swell is another sign a eruption is close, and I know last week it had risen some, they tend to leave out that part of the equation!!

They're very much trying to keep volcanic activity out of that. lol  How can they? 

apache54    4,822
1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

They're very much trying to keep volcanic activity out of that. lol  How can they? 

well we cannot allow a public panic now can we!!! :gsbrnint:

Cinnamon    22,782
1 minute ago, apache54 said:

well we cannot allow a public panic now can we!!! :gsbrnint:

So... I'm supposed to believe that earthquakes happening around a Super Volcano have nothing to do with magma movement. All righty then!  

apache54    4,822
1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

So... I'm supposed to believe that earthquakes happening around a Super Volcano have nothing to do with magma movement. All righty then!  

so it seems,

just be a good little sheeple and listen to what i am telling you and ALL is OK!!  :gsbrnint:

I don't trust hardly ANYTHING that comes from certain places like government controlled info.

Siddrix    1,010

Every time it rises and falls the magma melts more rock. And eventually something will crack,break or slip...

It's just one big weak spot in the crust...

RhetoricalRebel    1,588
46 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

If it's tectonic, I would like them to explain the sudden rise in ground deformation in the area of the earthquakes.

Both P711 and NWRY GPS stations are showing abrupt rises.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitoring/gps/YellowstoneContin/p711

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitoring/gps/YellowstoneContin/nrwy

Notice the red dots on the right side of the  UP graph.

Cinnamon    22,782
31 minutes ago, Siddrix said:

5.8 Mozambique Africa...

That's weird, I don't remember hearing about quakes in Africa.