Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gxer

Georgia peach crop decimated after warm winter

gxer    208

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-peach-crop-decimated-after-warm-winter/3SFVEukXWLLJB0zSox9i4M/

Georgia’s peach farmers have lost up to 80 percent of their crops after a combination of a mild winter and an early spring freeze, state agriculture officials said.

The losses could near $50 million, Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black’s office said. The news follows an estimated $250 million in losses from blueberries wiped out by the same mid-March freeze. 

For peaches, however, it was the one-two punch that led to a wipeout. 

The iconic state fruit requires 850 hours of temperatures below 45 degrees from October to February. But this past winter was so mild, only 500 hours met those needs. The result was sporadic blooms. 

Other trees, in cooler parts of the state, came out of winter in better shape, only to be hit by freezing temperatures in March. 

The freeze in March killed nearly three out of every 10 blooms, but did not destroy all of the peach crops which are now full of fruit.

Cinnamon    22,806
1 hour ago, gxer said:

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-peach-crop-decimated-after-warm-winter/3SFVEukXWLLJB0zSox9i4M/

Georgia’s peach farmers have lost up to 80 percent of their crops after a combination of a mild winter and an early spring freeze, state agriculture officials said.

The losses could near $50 million, Agriculture Commissioner Gary Black’s office said. The news follows an estimated $250 million in losses from blueberries wiped out by the same mid-March freeze. 

For peaches, however, it was the one-two punch that led to a wipeout. 

The iconic state fruit requires 850 hours of temperatures below 45 degrees from October to February. But this past winter was so mild, only 500 hours met those needs. The result was sporadic blooms. 

Other trees, in cooler parts of the state, came out of winter in better shape, only to be hit by freezing temperatures in March. 

The freeze in March killed nearly three out of every 10 blooms, but did not destroy all of the peach crops which are now full of fruit.

Nothing's guaranteed when trying to grow something. It's like there is always a "gotcha" just waiting to happen that's not controllable.  Peaches are going to be pricey this year! 

Siddrix    1,016

A can of peach pie filling is 7 bucks...

I did'nt get any peaches on my tree's this year because of the stupid weather...

Cinnamon    22,806
1 minute ago, Siddrix said:

A can of peach pie filling is 7 bucks...

I did'nt get any peaches on my tree's this year because of the stupid weather...

This is kind of strange because there is a peach tree next to my house and it grows peaches on it. There are hardly any cold days at all. I wonder if it's a specific type or something. 

Siddrix    1,016
4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

This is kind of strange because there is a peach tree next to my house and it grows peaches on it. There are hardly any cold days at all. I wonder if it's a specific type or something. 

Did you have any cold snaps in California this spring?  I counted five or more here in okieville...

I don't even have any plums because it froze all the bloomes after they pollinated...

Cinnamon    22,806
3 minutes ago, Siddrix said:

Did you have any cold snaps in California this spring?  I counted five or more here in okieville...

I don't even have any plums because it froze all the bloomes after they pollinated...

Nothing major where I am.  It didn't even freeze I don't think. 

Siddrix    1,016
38 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Nothing major where I am.  It didn't even freeze I don't think. 

The only things we did have were Strawberries,Blackberries and Raspberries. And we were lucky to get those do to all the storms filled with hail... Oh well...Better luck next year i suppose... lol

Cinnamon    22,806
1 minute ago, Siddrix said:

The only things we did have were Strawberries,Blackberries and Raspberries. And we were lucky to get those do to all the storms filled with hail... Oh well...Better luck next year i suppose... lol

I think it's almost pure luck if we get anything. lol

Moosupian    41

This was last year in CT. Warm, late winter got buds out. A late very low, hard frost killed everything on every fruit tree I had. Only foliage after that. This year is the banner year of all time in NE CT for apples, peaches, nectarines, & pears.

Cinnamon    22,806
1 hour ago, Moosupian said:

This was last year in CT. Warm, late winter got buds out. A late very low, hard frost killed everything on every fruit tree I had. Only foliage after that. This year is the banner year of all time in NE CT for apples, peaches, nectarines, & pears.

Sounds like a feast!  Good for you guys.