Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GySgtermey

STEP BY STEP GREEN BEANS,HOW TO GROW,WHEN TO PICK,& VINEGAR CANNING.

GySgtermey    667

STEP BY STEP GREEN BEANS,HOW TO GROW,WHEN TO PICK,& VINEGAR CANNING.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JdaWvqbOBhY/hqdefault.jpg

____________ 22 Jun 2017

OldAlabamaGardener

GREEN BEANS - HOW TO GROW - STEP BY STEP [HOW TO DO IT]

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gJxtAnp9r70/hqdefault.jpg

________________22 Jun 2017

OldAlabamaGardener

GREEN BEANS - HOW TO KNOW WHEN READY TO PICK?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uC2zAQPOfHk/hqdefault.jpg

____________________ 22 Jun 2017

OldAlabamaGardener

GREEN BEANS vintage recipes.

GREEN BEANS - VINEGAR CANNING, STEP BY STEP [HOW TO DO IT]

:goodreadl:...............ENJOY!

GySgtermey    667

your welcome Cinnamon.......:D

GREEN BEANS - VINEGAR CANNING.......... is a old recipes.

Here some old recipes for pickling green beans in a crock........

For pickling a large amount of food they used crocks-large pottery containers-some hold up to 10 gallons. I've read, before crocks were plentiful folks used wooden tubs. After picking, the mixture could be stored in the crock-folks would dip out the product as they needed it.

old recipes......#1

First, you cook the beans, not just blanch them. You cook them as you normally would, you can add fatback, etc if you want, just drain it out when you proceed.
Second, in a churn, or other crock type of container, add the beans (generally about half of a bushel fit in a churn and yield 9-10 Qts), layering the beans a little at a time with a total of one cup of salt, so put a little beans, a little salt, till you are done.
Third, put a small plate or something equivalent over the beans, and a good size rock.
Fourth, put a towel or clean diaper cloth over the crock, allowing for space, it will grow as it ferments with foam, etc, and the cloth will absorb.
Last, leave them without peaking for 9 days. DO NOT do this during the signs of the Bowel or the Feet, if you don't know what I am talking about then look it up in a farmers almanac, this is the way the old folks did this and if you want it exactly right, then do it that way. Proceed to can as usual...I think this can be done in waterbath instead
of pressure canner since its already fermented.

Note the final warning, "Do not make pickled beans when the signs are in the bowels or secrets."  During my mother and father's generation, the enlightened and educated more or less abandoned planting and canning by the signs (see Farmer's Almanac if you are unfamiliar with the concept of signs of the Zodiac and their effects on farming and food preparation:

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/zodiac-astrology-astronomy

old recipes......#2

How to Make Pickled Beans
Wash, string and break beans.  Put in a container and cook until well done (not soft).  The secret to making good pickled beans is getting the beans tender before you put them in your churn.  Set off stove to cool.
Put a cloth bag or a pillow case inside your churn (stone crock) to hold the beans.  Put beans in your churn a few quarts at a time salting as you put them in.  Use two (2) level teaspoons of plain (not iodized) salt to the quart.  The water that you cook the beans in should be added to the beans alternately with the beans and salt.  When all the beans are in the churn twist the top of the bag and press down to get all the air out.  Then tie the top of bag.  This will make it easy to keep your beans below the level of the water.  Put a white cloth over the top of the bag of beans and press down around the bag.
Weight down the bag of beans well.  (You may use three (3) or four (4) saucers turned bottom side up on top of the beans.  Then place cups turned the same way on top of the saucers.)  See that the beans are well covered with water.  If additional water is needed during the time the beans are pickling, use salted tap water.  Tie a cloth tightly over the top of the churn.  Do not let the cloth that is tied over the churn touch the cloth over the beans.  If you do, it will act as a wick to remove the water from the churn.
Place the churn in a warm shady place.  The beans should be pickled in one (1) week.  Test to see if they are as sour as you want them to be.  When the beans get as sour as you prefer, put the cold beans in glass jars.  Put in a pressure cooker.  Bring to five (5) pounds to pressure for seven (7) minutes.  This should seal the beans.

Do not make pickled beans when the signs are in the bowels or secrets.

type green beans

specifically mountains Half White Runners.

ENJOY_______________GySgtermey :D