Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COBO Member

Incredible New Record Set By Canadian Sniper

COBO Member    3,350

3450meters = 2.14mi (for we metrically challenged)

A sniper with Canada's elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,450 metres.

Sources say a member of Joint Task Force 2 killed an Islamic State insurgent with a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle while firing from a high-rise during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq. It took under 10 seconds to hit the target.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadian-elite-special-forces-sniper-sets-record-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651/

And be sure to check the .jpg and note, "Distance, windage, the curvature of the Earth and other factors had to be accounted for"

Automan63    2,198
55 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

3450meters = 2.14mi (for we metrically challenged

And be sure to check the .jpg and note, "Distance, windage, the curvature of the Earth and other factors had to be accounted for"

No No, that was just in case the round bounced off the "firmament" and ricocheted..

Cant be too sure...

:cofeefag:

COBO Member    3,350
45 minutes ago, Jostler said:

absolutely amazing.

So many factors go into making a shot like that!

The best story I ever read was back during Vietnam when Carlos Hathcock (NVA called him "Whitefeather") laid in the jungle for days waiting for an NVA Colonel to appear. A python(?), boa (?), "big snake" crawled across his back while he waited. Finally made a 1200yd head shot with his Rem M24 .308 and mission completed.

COBO Member    3,350
3 minutes ago, Automan63 said:

No No, that was just in case the round bounced off the "firmament" and ricocheted..

Cant be too sure...

:cofeefag:

:nodl:

There's a video out there of another Canadian making a 1.51mi shot at three guys walking a mountainside trail back in 2003(?).

First shot missed way low and they didn't even notice. 2nd shot...good hit. The "fine red mist".

thedudeabides    2,372
34 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

So many factors go into making a shot like that!

The best story I ever read was back during Vietnam when Carlos Hathcock (NVA called him "Whitefeather") laid in the jungle for days waiting for an NVA Colonel to appear. A python(?), boa (?), "big snake" crawled across his back while he waited. Finally made a 1200yd head shot with his Rem M24 .308 and mission completed.

Why father has the whitefeather edition M24.  Nicest rifle I've ever shot. 

Groove    1,948

Wow that is a looooooooooong shot. That is a crazy distance! Holy crap I couldn't imagine shooting a target that far off hell I think the furtherest I've shot was about 800 meters. 3450 is insane!!! 

Ps the M24 is an awesome rifle, the tac 50 however is just a monsterous beast of a rifle. 

COBO Member    3,350
6 minutes ago, Groove said:

Wow that is a looooooooooong shot. That is a crazy distance! Holy crap I couldn't imagine shooting a target that far off hell I think the furtherest I've shot was about 800 meters. 3450 is insane!!! 

Ps the M24 is an awesome rifle, the tac 50 however is just a monsterous beast of a rifle. 

And anyone in tune knows you don't normally make a shot like that without a spotter by your side. I just want to know what kind of glass topped that .50! How could he even pick his target at over two miles???

Automan63    2,198
22 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

And anyone in tune knows you don't normally make a shot like that without a spotter by your side. I just want to know what kind of glass topped that .50! How could he even pick his target at over two miles???

Just aim for the beard.....

No more allah snackbar 

Groove    1,948
20 minutes ago, COBO Member said:

I bet that scope cost almost as much as the rifle. Optocs have gotten outstanding in the past 5-10 years. Heck my 3gun scope on my competition rifle hit me for $500. I think I build my rifle for $600. But I can shoot a mosquitos wings off at 100meters with it. lol. 

Some of the sniper scopes these days have all kinds of tech in them, range estimates, wind estimates, you can hook your iPhone to them, lasers, lions, tigers and bears. Even a cheap Chinese made $50 scope is great these days. But the scope doesn't make the shooter it's the fundamentals. Of course throwing a .50 out there at over 2 miles that takes finess and a crap ton of rounds down range, and some steady hands. 

Automan63    2,198
4 minutes ago, Groove said:

I bet that scope cost almost as much as the rifle. Optocs have gotten outstanding in the past 5-10 years. Heck my 3gun scope on my competition rifle hit me for $500. I think I build my rifle for $600. But I can shoot a mosquitos wings off at 100meters with it. lol. 

Some of the sniper scopes these days have all kinds of tech in them, range estimates, wind estimates, you can hook your iPhone to them, lasers, lions, tigers and bears. Even a cheap Chinese made $50 scope is great these days. But the scope doesn't make the shooter it's the fundamentals. Of course throwing a .50 out there at over 2 miles that takes finess and a crap ton of rounds down range, and some steady hands. 

Finesse indeed. 

Of course the hadji that caught that round looked like he took a soup can dropped from space.....

Groove    1,948
2 minutes ago, Automan63 said:

Finesse indeed. 

Of course the hadji that caught that round looked like he took a soup can dropped from space.....

Yes indeed! 

Hoo rah!