Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ESET

At least 10 people hurt when United flight hits turbulence

ESET    1,226

At least 10 passengers aboard a United Airlines jet were injured when the plane hit turbulence during a flight from Panama to Houston.

+A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman says the Boeing 737 encountered turbulence about 80 miles east of Cancun, Mexico. Weather satellite images showed storm clouds in the area in the wake of Tropical Storm Cindy.

Emergency crews were called to George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, where the aircraft landed safely Tuesday afternoon.

A Houston Fire Department spokesman said three passengers were taken to nearby hospitals.

United did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4978819,00.html

Aircraft can withstand 30x their weight.  I remember flying on an Eastern L10-11 down to Puerto Rico and we hit a patch so bad our food trays practically hit the ceiling.  That was something else 

the movie on the flight was Flash Gordon and the sound went out after that.  This was back in the day when they used to project 16mm film on a screen 

Malevolent    2,819
50 minutes ago, Beethovens10th said:

Aircraft can withstand 30x their weight.  I remember flying on an Eastern L10-11 down to Puerto Rico and we hit a patch so bad our food trays practically hit the ceiling.  That was something else 

the movie on the flight was Flash Gordon and the sound went out after that.  This was back in the day when they used to project 16mm film on a screen 

Been there done that.  Some routes it is better to order wine in those little bottles because at least you can hold onto that.  Problem is "clear air turbulence"  when there is no warning on the radar equipment.

Ukshep    20,169
11 minutes ago, Automan63 said:

Damn firmament....

:gsbrnint: You just had to didn't you!

Automan63    2,204
2 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

:gsbrnint: You just had to didn't you!

Instantly popped into my flat head, so yes, I had too. 

:cofeefag:

Ukshep    20,169
7 minutes ago, Automan63 said:

Instantly popped into my flat head, so yes, I had too. 

:cofeefag:

I may reach that point one day. Pancake thought is not all bad.

ESET    1,226
28 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

I may reach that point one day. Pancake thought is not all bad.

Sure you would :gsbrnint:

COBO Member    3,350

Not to make light of this, but there's a reason the pre-takeoff speil includes, "...keep your seatbelts fastened unless..."

It's for your safety plus covers the airlines' insurance liability.

This from Sunday:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4aa7de17&opt=0

Passengers reported that many passengers were not buckled in about 6 hours prior to landing in Kunming when turbulence lasting for about 10 minutes set in and resulted in two very large jolts having everyone not being buckled in hitting the cabin ceiling and being thrown back onto the seats. Between the large jolts there were a number of other lesser jolts. 

The airport reported 4 passengers received serious injuries including fractures and head injuries, 22 received minor injuries (mainly bruises), 2 more passengers were examined.

The airline reported without identifying when and where the tubulence took place, that the fasten seat belt signs were illuminated however not everyone complied with the instruction. A number of passengers needed to be taken to hospitals.