Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

The End of Car Ownership

Cinnamon    23,143

Cars are going to undergo a lot of changes in the coming years.

One of the biggest: You probably won’t own one.

Thanks to ride sharing and the looming introduction of self-driving vehicles, the entire model of car ownership is being upended—and very soon may not look anything like it has for the past century.

<snip>

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-end-of-car-ownership-1498011001

So, what is the state going to do without all that gasoline tax?  And how will they find a new way to gouge us? 

So, what is the state going to do without all that gasoline tax? - They'll start taxing those who choose to walk or ride a bike

And how will they find a new way to gouge us? - Let me count the ways... Doh! I don't think I have enough fingers and toes

What about some hackers infiltrating this soon-to-be universal  driverless system? I'm sure it'll be more than possible. That ought to make for some interesting trips.

or

What a about an individual who had some past parking tickets & never paid them? They call up a driverless car. It arrives. The individual gets in. The system identifies them and their crimes. The doors lock immediately and off to jail they go without passing go.

or

The system identifies me through a social media account as being a Hellary basher. The doors lock. I glance at the passenger display which now reads "You have been scheduled for termination" - the DL car accelerates to its top speed and crashes me into a wall or even flies me off a cliff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope I'm not around to see the implementation of this particular control mechanism. If I am still around, I will simply choose to be a non-participant ;)

Martin    219

Another convenient way to take our money, possibilities are countless, including taxes per km, just like taxis.

12 minutes ago, BubbitoBurrito said:

So, what is the state going to do without all that gasoline tax? - They'll start taxing those who choose to walk or ride a bike

And how will they find a new way to gouge us? - Let me count the ways... Doh! I don't think I have enough fingers and toes

What about some hackers infiltrating this soon-to-be universal  driverless system? I'm sure it'll be more than possible. That ought to make for some interesting trips.

or

What a about an individual who had some past parking tickets & never paid them? They call up a driverless car. It arrives. The individual gets in. The system identifies them and their crimes. The doors lock immediately and off to jail they go without passing go.

or

The system identifies me through a social media account as being a Hellary basher. The doors lock. I glance at the passenger display which now reads "You have been scheduled for termination" - the DL car accelerates to its top speed and crashes me into a wall or even flies me off a cliff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope I'm not around to see the implementation of this particular control mechanism. If I am still around, I will simply choose to be a non-participant ;)

Indeed, this episode of Doctor Who comes to mind (Well, minus the aliens, but you never know):

9 minutes ago, Martin said:

Another convenient way to take our money, possibilities are countless, including taxes per km, just like taxis.

Indeed, this episode of Doctor Who comes to mind (Well, minus the aliens, but you never know):

I have never watched one episode of that show but... yeah... sumptin like that :alien: