Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lucy Barnable

Barbie's boyfriend Ken gets a makeover: Man buns and new skin tones

Lucy Barnable    4,982

It’s taken decades, but Barbie’s boyfriend Ken is now getting a well-deserved transformation.

Tuesday, Mattel announced 15 new looks for Ken, including three body types: slim, broad and original. Yes, some Kens might come with dad bods instead of six packs. The doll will also be available in a variety of skin tones, eye colors and hairstyles. Man buns, polka-dotted tees and hipster glasses are all a part of the mix. 
-----
The new looks are an effort to reboot interest in the dolls. As more children cling to screens rather than traditional toys, Barbie sales are declining — down 13% in the first three months of the year compared with the same period a year ago, AP reports. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/06/20/barbie-boyfriend-ken-doll-mattel-conrows/412063001/

Twitter Is Having a Hard Time Accepting the New Man-Bun-Sporting Ken Doll

Does man bun Ken doll also come with a Soul Cycle membership, vintage record player, and $50,000 in student loan debt?

The new "Man Bun" Ken doll comes with shirt, shoes, and keys to Barbie's car that he's driving until he "gets back on his feet again."

https://www.themarysue.com/man-bun-ken/

:scary:

Lucy Barnable    4,982

There’s a Ken Doll For Everyone Now 
It’s 2017 and Barbie’s boyfriend comes in all different colors and sizes. Just don’t call him “husky”.

where is morbidly obese Ken? who am I supposed to identify with?

There's a Ken for everyone!!!! ... except Asians. I swear if there's one form of racism universally prevalent and overwhelmingly aggressive in the world, it's against Asians.

Ukshep    19,873
1 hour ago, FredoIsSmart said:

A manbun?! :rofl:

Ewww that is a mental image I did not need!

Here's Rush Limbaugh's take on the new Ken dolls:

RUSH: Now, here’s what I want to tell you. Millennials. Mattel. They make the Barbie and Ken dolls. I want to show you the new Ken dolls. They’ve got seven of them. Folks, it’s gonna make you laugh. Have you seen this, Mr. Snerdley? Well, I don’t see anybody with a rainbow suit here. They are modeling the new Ken dolls after TV anchors and other personalities. Rachel Maddow is here as a Ken doll. Don Lemon is here as a Ken doll. Anderson Cooper is here as a Ken doll. I’m now three-for-three.

Who would buy one of these for their boys or girl? Well, that’s the point. This is what Mattel thinks they’ve got to do to sell the Ken doll. Who buys the Ken doll? Little girls, right? Parents. Mattel has made a decision here that this is the future of manhood, the way to entice young girls. You go back and look at the old Ken doll, the old Ken doll might have looked like a TV anchor at the time, but at least he was a stud, at some point.

SOURCE:  

http://dailyrushbo.com/mattel-models-new-ken-dolls-after-tv-anchors-rachel-maddow-don-lemon-anderson-cooper/