Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GySgtermey

Phoenix flights cancelled because it's too hot for planes!

GySgtermey    667

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/720x405/p056h8fy.jpg

_______________ 20 June 2017  :hide2:

As temperatures climb in Phoenix, Arizona, more than 40 flights have been cancelled - because it is too hot for the planes to fly.

The weather forecast for the US city suggests temperatures could reach 120F (49C) on Tuesday.

That is higher than the operating temperature of some planes.

American Airlines announced it was cancelling dozens of flights scheduled to take off from Sky Harbor airport during the hottest part of the day.

The local Fox News affiliate in Phoenix said the cancellations mostly affected regional flights on the smaller Bombardier CRJ airliners, which have a maximum operating temperature of about 118F (48C).

read more:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40339730#

phxsparks    854
57 minutes ago, GySgtermey said:

It hit 120 degrees here at the house today.  The last time we had a heat wave such as this was 1990.

They close the airport because the plane manufacturers (Boeing and Air Bus) have warned against tire blow outs if the runways exceed a certain temperature threshold.

Better safe than sorry.

Curenado    966

New Mexico too, but at 104, which is like a dream to them. I did not know the uv scale went above 10 but we were at 12 

Cinnamon    23,078

It's real hot in Cali this week, too. But it's fairly normal. Gonna be terrible in July.  104 today here too. 

majoga    429

Yay global warming! Saves bundles on jet fuel. Hope it keeps up to cause TSA layoffs.

COBO Member    3,350
4 hours ago, One Step Away said:

Wow!  I've not heard of this happening before!  I know the UV is off the charts in AZ 🔥🔥

I guess it was back in 1990 as phxsparks mentioned above. I remember it but didn't think it was that long ago. At those temps, the air gets so thin that planes can't get enough airflow across the wings for lift before they run out of runway. I'm just glad I'm not out there working outside!