Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGK

Amazon Files Patent for No Comparison Shopping In Their Stores

CGK    2,626

So let me get this straight, Amazon bought all the Whole Food Stores and now will  install a system that will not allow people to comparison shop while in their stores? That's nice...NOT!

Amazon has a patent to keep you from comparison shopping while you’re in its stores

As grocery shoppers work to digest Amazon’s massive acquisition of Whole Foods for $13.7 billion, the digital storefront recently scored a victory that aims to reinforce the company’s growing investments in brick-and-mortar retail.

Amazon was awarded a patent May 30 that could help it choke off a common issue faced by many physical stores: Customers’ use of smartphones to compare prices even as they walk around a shop. The phenomenon, often known as mobile “window shopping,” has contributed to a worrisome decline for traditional retailers.

But Amazon now has the technology to prevent that type of behavior when customers enter any of its physical stores and log onto the WiFi networks there. Titled “Physical Store Online Shopping Control,” Amazon’s patent describes a system that can identify a customer’s Internet traffic and sense when the smartphone user is trying to access a competitor’s website. (Amazon chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos is also the owner of The Washington Post.)

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2017/06/16/amazon-has-a-patent-to-keep-you-from-comparison-shopping-while-youre-in-its-stores/

CGK    2,626

FYI..Best Buy encourages comparison shopping and will price match Amazon. I shop at Best Buy all the time and always check Amazon prices while Im there. Heck, I've even used their in store computers to comparison shop.

Quick1966    1,219

So it only works if your logged on to the stores wifi? I guess then you would just use your network to circumvent this. But this is some freaky $hit. Quick someone get Bezos a white Persian cat and one of lil Kim's dictator outfits if he doesn't already have one. Lol!

Ukshep    20,153
11 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

So it only works if your logged on to the stores wifi? I guess then you would just use your network to circumvent this. But this is some freaky $hit. Quick someone get Bezos a white Persian cat and one of lil Kim's dictator outfits if he doesn't already have one. Lol!

Stepping stones.... to something bigger. Probably governmental!

CGK    2,626
10 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

I suspect they will install some sort of network block that will require shoppers to use the store wifi if they want a signal. I don't know enough about how that stuff works without reading through the patent.

All I know is I wont be shopping in Amazon Whole Foods. Screw them!

Tarmalen    1,310
10 minutes ago, CGK said:

I suspect they will install some sort of network block that will require shoppers to use the store wifi if they want a signal. I don't know enough about how that stuff works without reading through the patent.

Agreed.

It is completely batshit asinine crazy. I will spend my money how I see fit.

phxsparks    854
1 hour ago, CGK said:

This is insane.  What Amazon will probably do is block cell phone signals within the stores.  Never mind the WiFi.

At some point Amazon may have to be reined in by governmental action.  Anti-trust regulations come to mind.

I assume, they will also not publish their prices online so I can comparison shop from home before going to the store.

It is a long standing tradition in the U.S. for grocers to publish their prices for food and produce in local news papers and shoppers guides.

Its sure going to interesting watching this play out. 

I do feel for and sympathize with the people who presently work at Whole Foods, they are likely to get the shaft in a major way as this unfolds.

Grab a bowl of popcorn and pull up a chair!

:popcorn: