Advertise With Us! Or Sign Up To Remove Ads!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abigfatzero

Supreme Court Doesn't Care What You Say on the Internet

abigfatzero    2,448

Supreme Court Doesn't Care What You Say on the Internet

Two free-speech rulings combine to make clear that any social media regulation will have to come from the companies themselves.

It was a big day for free speech at the U.S. Supreme Court. In two consequential decisions, the justices set the terms for the First Amendment in the era of Donald Trump and the internet. In one, the court struck a blow against political correctness, saying the Patent and Trademark Office could not refuse to register an offensive trademark. In the other, the court declared social media to be the vast public forum for nearly all expressions.

snip

What is most striking about the two opinions taken together is what they mean for the regulation of offensive speech on social media: The government is not going to get involved. In practice, what that means is that the corporations that own and control social media are going to be squarely in charge of shaping the norms of speech. Indeed, the First Amendment will be interpreted to protect Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the social media universe in imposing the private rules they choose.

Things may turn out differently in Europe, where governments are increasingly pushing internet giants to follow domestic speech regulations. In the U.S., however, the combination of the First Amendment and private ownership of social media is creating a brave new world of free speech.

More in the link.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-19/supreme-court-doesn-t-care-what-you-say-on-the-internet

This is a win, I think........:D

It seems to me if a social media giant is part of the Public Private Partnership (PPP) they should be forced to allow free speech on their sites.

If not, any and all government funding/subsidies/advantages should be revoked.

This goes for universities as well and any other (PPP) businesses.

Cinnamon    23,078

Looks like a win, smells like a win... but we'd better read the fine print cuz everytime I think there's a win... well, you know. lol

majoga    429

No need for them to worry about that yet. They are just waiting for congress to finish writing the "permitted" speech bill.

Cinnamon    23,078
1 minute ago, majoga said:

No need for them to worry about that yet. They are just waiting for congress to finish writing the "permitted" speech bill.

It will be the shortest one in history, I'd say about a paragraph, what do you think? :gsbrnint:

abigfatzero    2,448
11 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Looks like a win, smells like a win... but we'd better read the fine print cuz everytime I think there's a win... well, you know. lol

Devils in the details..............:devil:

majoga    429
9 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

It will be the shortest one in history, I'd say about a paragraph, what do you think? :gsbrnint:

I dunno. Have you read any legislation lately? Doesn't seem like congress can formulate an actual paragraph. Would probably go something like this:

Article VII. Amendment I. Strike all text and replace with "Keep yo mouf shut and behave as you told or they put they boot in yo ass".

The end.

Cinnamon    23,078
1 minute ago, majoga said:

I dunno. Have you read any legislation lately? Doesn't seem like congress can formulate an actual paragraph. Would probably go something like this:

Article VII. Amendment I. Strike all text and replace with "Keep yo mouf shut and behave as you told of they put they boot in yo ass".

The end.

LOL  Yeah, we have a really high opinion of these aholes don't we?  

apache54    4,913

so you can say anything you want to but the part they left out is where the pre-crime division will come to see you because it says your showing signs of going to commit a crime!!! LOL :gsbrnint:

FredoIsSmart    512
8 hours ago, majoga said:

Article VII. Amendment I. Strike all text and replace with "Keep yo mouf shut and behave as you told or they put they boot in yo ass".

The end.

:rofl::afro:

Zing    904

The Supreme Court might not care what you say on the Internet, but that's not the case about other government agencies including an NSA, CIA, and FBI.

YaKnow2.0    682
41 minutes ago, Zing said:

The Supreme Court might not care what you say on the Internet, but that's not the case about other government agencies including an NSA, CIA, and FBI.

They want you to say what you think so they can data mine or lock you up!